• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers, southwestern Poland, late June (1 Viewer)

D Halas

Hello,

I saw both of these birds in southwestern Poland on the 25th of June this year, along the Nysa River south of Zgorzelec. The bird in the first two photos is, I think, a Garden Warbler, but with such a nondescript species that I'm not familiar with, I'd like a confirmation of my ID. I've also got a video of the bird singing here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gRuPG1nwLET7u1VqlToi4dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The third and fourth photos show the same bird, and I'm fairly certain that the bird in the fifth photo is the same individual as well. This one gave me a fair bit of trouble. I'm pretty sure it's either a Marsh Warbler or a Reed Warbler, but I hadn't ever seen either species before this day, so deciding between the two is difficult! The warm colour of the rump in comparison to the back looks like a better match for the Reed Warbler in the Collins guide. However, the habitat seems a better match for Marsh Warbler (the bird was spending all its time in these dense weeds on the riverbank, and there weren't any reeds nearby). It was also singing most of the time, and what I heard seems to be a better match to the Marsh Warbler songs I found on xeno-canto than to the Reed Warbler songs. Here's a video of the bird singing:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/js7bmd8pPvwrmzZTnz-mTtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

If you're good with both Marsh and Reed Warblers, please take a look, and let me know which one it is, or if it's impossible to tell.

Thanks!

Attachments

• warbler1a.jpg
    warbler1a.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 86
  • warbler1b.jpg
    warbler1b.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 75
  • warbler2a.jpg
    warbler2a.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 64
  • warbler2b.jpg
    warbler2b.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 79
  • warbler2c.jpg
    warbler2c.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back