• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID- August,Tsukuba, Japan (1 Viewer)

I am impressed but is that bill* not far too fine for Oriental Reed? How did you come to the decision Paul?
It is easy to dismiss an option like I did, not giving my own in return is simply being honest..The photos give me too few elements to dare pick an ID...sorry

Would Japanese Bush Warbler not be an option?

cheers,
Gerben

*the bill is not visible, but if it were ORW it would have shown somewhat at least (I deleted a later post where I added the info).

Last edited:
Definitely not Oriental Reed - completely different appearance, and they don't flit about inside bushes or trees (though they will sit and the top and sing). And in my area, where they breed in large numbers, they are gone by now.

On these photos, Japanese Bush is the overwhelmingly likely bird. Even if it were something else, I don't think you would be able to justify it.

@Paul Leader: could you please add some context for your ID choice? thanks!
I subjected the question to the Kantori- fb forum (Japan focussed english language birding group). There is no conclusive answer given there. Some arguments are given against Japanese Bush Warbler, some against any positive ID.

I will leave it be after a bit, but for now there is still something to be added I guess

cheers,
Gerben

Head shape (flat forehead), tail shape (rounded with short outer tail feathers, long undertail coverts), legs (strong feet) and underpart patterns (buff flanks and undertail) all look like Acrocephalus to me and not like a Hornornis. There are only two regular Acrocephalus species in Japan, and the head pattern immediately rules out Black-browed.

My initial impression was actually of a smaller Acro on the photos where it's facing the camera, but looking again at all photos I think it is an Oriental Reed. The legs and feet are strong and grey. Contrary to the comment in post #4, the bill is actually visible in the first photo (and tip visible in 2nd), and is large as in Oriental. Oriental Reed on migration are often found in trees and bushes.

Apologies, meant to add more. In addition to John’s comments bird seems too long-winged for Japanese Bush Warbler, plus facial pattern lacks rather deep and well-marked eye-stripe of JBW. Finally, I can see pale tips to the outer tail feathers (at least) which is classic ORW and in my experience never shown by JBW.

To me it’s clearly an acro, and as John notes, there are not many options in Japan.

I was impressed before, even more so now... thanks for the extensive replies John, Paul. I will keep this thread in mind next time I label another trickier record as JBW on Inaturalist.

best regards,
Gerben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back