• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail - Ostrava, Czech Republic, August 2017 (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

Hi all. Stumbled across a bit of an odd-looking wagtail this summer. Based on these three pictures I'm thinking yellow wagtail - on the first picture it seems to have quite tall legs with a higher "thigh" than grey or white wagtail would have. On that picture you can also get a hint of a white eye-stripe, and the tail seems quite a bit shorter than the adult white wagtail behind it. What's throwing me off, however, is that it seems to have a darker breast than any yellow wagtail should have in the summer.
The second picture shows that it has a full 'dark' cap which shouldn't be present in white wagtail (except juveniles?).
The third picture shows the clear stripes on the wings ruling out grey wagtail, and accentuates the brownish breast that should only be present in first winter yellow wagtails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 53
Actually looking at it again, I think this is a juvenile white wagtail, certainly in the first picture the breast markings look like good fits, and even the eye-stripe looks more like a juvenile of a white than of a yellow... Though it still looks a bit longer-legged and shorter-tailed than the white one in the background.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back