• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Apex J HR8x42WP MFN 14526 ??? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I came across these, I can pull up their spec’s on line but that’s about it. I think they were released to the public from Vixen in 2022. I believe they were released after the Vixen Artes J 8x42. I was wondering if these have the same glass but different bodies. The Vixen Apex J having the more conventional body with a single hinge and the Vixen Artes J 8x42 with a open double hinge design. The last picture to the right shows the Vixen Artes J body design. Both advertise having a ED objective. I can not find any reviews. I see no USA dealers only direct from Japan or outside the USA direct from non USA dealers ? Can anyone out there shed any more info ? …. Any users ?

Attachments

• 068F269F-231E-4766-8E90-E6B81BADAC03.jpeg
    068F269F-231E-4766-8E90-E6B81BADAC03.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 9F9BBBE3-4042-48EF-AC6F-8FCDC3E84A01.jpeg
    9F9BBBE3-4042-48EF-AC6F-8FCDC3E84A01.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 19
  • 546D06E7-F776-4B36-9018-FED1FD5645FE.jpeg
    546D06E7-F776-4B36-9018-FED1FD5645FE.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 56B87281-4E13-4A82-B0AF-5C2753B71971.jpeg
    56B87281-4E13-4A82-B0AF-5C2753B71971.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 60A7A981-C1B4-4F59-8584-AC8BACB8D8EE.jpeg
    60A7A981-C1B4-4F59-8584-AC8BACB8D8EE.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
@gcole I've also tried looking for some first hand experiences, since I'm a big fan of Vixen binoculars, but I haven't found a lot. However, as for your question regarding the possible relationship between the Artes J and the Apex J, I've found that, even though the Apex J seem to be a newer model and the Artes J is already a "mature product", the Artes is still noticeably more expensive (439 € vs 329 €), which could maybe indicate that the optics belong in a higher category.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 10.26.23.jpeg

Among the differences in the marketing info from this particular website, I can see that it says the Artes J enjoy grease repelling coatings (like Lotutec, Aquadura, etc.). By the looks of it, my guess is that it would be surprising if the Apex J surpassed the Artes J level of performance, which is fantastic as you know ;) My brother in law makes pretty intensive use of the one I bought from you, and whenever I meet him and use the Artes I'm honestly quite surprised. If only it had a 7,5º FOV it would be basically (nearly) everything one could ever ask for.

@gcole I've also tried looking for some first hand experiences, since I'm a big fan of Vixen binoculars, but I haven't found a lot. However, as for your question regarding the possible relationship between the Artes J and the Apex J, I've found that, even though the Apex J seem to be a newer model and the Artes J is already a "mature product", the Artes is still noticeably more expensive (439 € vs 329 €), which could maybe indicate that the optics belong in a higher category.

View attachment 1577259

Among the differences in the marketing info from this particular website, I can see that it says the Artes J enjoy grease repelling coatings (like Lotutec, Aquadura, etc.). By the looks of it, my guess is that it would be surprising if the Apex J surpassed the Artes J level of performance, which is fantastic as you know ;) My brother in law makes pretty intensive use of the one I bought from you, and whenever I meet him and use the Artes I'm honestly quite surprised. If only it had a 7,5º FOV it would be basically (nearly) everything one could ever ask for.

Thanks for responding. I remember the one you bought. Tack sharp and excellent build quality from being Japan made. The dates I mentioned of when each version was released I took off the Japan Amazon website, which stated the Vixen Apex J 8x42HR having ED glass was released in 2022 which was after the date I found on another site stating the Artes J 8x42 having ED glass version was released earlier. I thought that was a bit off considering that the Artes J has all the current new updates, from the open body design to the latest coating and center focus wheel diopter. Yes the Artes J is even more expensive. The description of the Apex J on line does not mention much but it does mention it has a ED objective lens just like the Artes J. That’s what caught my attention. So I ordered the Apex J 8x42HR, it should be here by early next week. I am just curious to see if there is any Optical differences between the two. With my significant other taking the lead from memory, we will see how it performs compared to the Artes J and I will comment back after it arrives,

Last edited:
I can not believe with all the years of experience from such a large membership that makes up this forum, that no one has ever come across these. I guess now we will have to order a pair direct from Japan just to satisfy our curiosity.
We ordered a pair of Vixen Apex J 8x42HR WP. They arrived in just 5 working days from a dealer direct from Japan. I usually stay away from non USA dealers but there was no other way. My experience from the shipping and from direct communication with this seller I can happily say was very positive and it did not end there. They arrived in a sealed box, showing no signs of tampering giving the impression these were factory new. Upon the opening / removing the contents from their product box my positive experience continued, yes everything looked new unused. Our thoughts after handling these midday outside for 15minutes.

Pros ….
1. Solidly Built
2. Cosmetically no blemishes
3. Eye Cups - Function properly, you can hear the snap in place when twist up. Solid no play
4. Center Hinge just the right tension
5. Center Focus Wheel - Smooth, not stiff with just enough tension
6. Both Barrels - Clean, nice darkening. Diopter stiff but manageable, when in place does not move
7. Lens Coatings - Look fully applied no issues.
8. Exit Pupils - Nice Rounded, No truncating
9. Eye Relief Spec’s 17.5 - with our glasses can see full view.
10. Soft Rubber Ocular/Lens covering - Good, fit well. Beefier(thickness) than most China I have received.
11. Armor cover - nicely done, just enough. In extreme cold I do not know ?
Cons …
1. Case cheap, little foam padding
2. Strap looks not wide enough

Optics Perceived with our 70 Plus year old eyes.
1. Sweet spot 85-90 percent
2. CA - None
3. Image Very Sharp, Very Bright Miday when we used them.

This is Japan Quality with good quality control and it shows. We paid $334 shipped.

Attachments

• F254E2E8-57E7-4185-A0B6-4061571D0B3D.jpeg
    F254E2E8-57E7-4185-A0B6-4061571D0B3D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back