• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unprecedented movement of Jays? (1 Viewer)

prhodes

Perhaps an early warning of a westward movement to eastern England of some rare visitors. Something unusual must have happened in the forests to our east.

Where are you seeing this? Just checked 2 East and 2 South coast b.obs websites and there's nothing there. Just a handful of birds, not unusual in October.

Where are you seeing this? Just checked 2 East and 2 South coast b.obs websites and there's nothing there. Just a handful of birds, not unusual in October.

300+ (or was it 500+) one site in Norfolk on Saturday (on Trektellen apparently) and here in Dorset there have been many seen moving west over the past week or so. The flock of 16 I saw was flying extremely high west over Weymouth. Certainly some unusual movements... but not sure where they might be collated. Perhaps there's something in another forum as it's not really Rare Bird fodder.

Ken

Just found on Bird Guides:

6/10/12
668 west over Hunstanton, Norfolk
189 over Sidestrand, Norfolk
130 over Great Yarmouth

7/10/12
448 over Hunstanton, Norfolk
340 over Reculver, Kent

I assume there are others like the Dorset birds that haven't been reported outside of our local egroup.

Ken

There is a report on the RSPB website about this years poor acorn crop both in the uk and in europe and its effect on jays.
Must admit that the thought of an influx of nutcrackers and arctic redpolls plus who knows what else is very interesting

Last edited:
I have been out in my local cork oak woods this weekend and can report that there were no acorns to be seen either on the ground or on the trees.This is very unusual and may be due to the very dry spring and summer we´ve had,there were numerous jays however no less than usual.I do´nt know about northern Spain but in my neck of the woods the acorn crop is nowhere to be seen. Eddy.

A birder in Italy who posts on the Herts yahoo group mentioned a while ago about the lack of acorns there and suggested that Jays could well move in numbers this autumn. He mentioned Nutcrackers aswell but isn't their favoured food the arolla pine? Have they failed to produce a crop this year too?

Ian

Last edited:
Always interesting to witness such movements....:cat:

On my local patch the other day i observed a total of 22 birds in less than 2hours heading from SE to NW...[largest group of seven]....and this was without constant viz-migging.....

Okay..so not a spectacular number...but most unusual and quite fascinating....!

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back