• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies & Damselflies 2021 (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

I see the first sighting has been seen & photographed. A Vagrant Emperor near Torpoint, Cornwall on 24th Feb as reported by Adrian Parr. With Saharan dust forecast it was predicted that this species might turn up in northern Europe.

My friend Jason watched a brown dragonfly hunting over a shallow flooded field for 2 minutes in Nursling on Saturday (27.02) lunchtime - most likely a Vagrant Emperor although he couldn't pick up a blue saddle at c.100m distance. I was a bit gutted as I had been watching the field for some time before Jason arrived but decided to have a wander a bit further along the Test Way!

BDS reporting that a Common Blue damsel was recorded in Cheshire on 29 March. Seems an odd place to get the first sighting of the year, so perhaps another one that's been accidentally accelerated in a fish tank? Or perhaps just a very odd local microclimate.

BDS reporting that a Common Blue damsel was recorded in Cheshire on 29 March. Seems an odd place to get the first sighting of the year, so perhaps another one that's been accidentally accelerated in a fish tank? Or perhaps just a very odd local microclimate.
Looking back through iRecord in 2019 the site, Anderton Park, had a Common Blue on 8th April. It seems to be just north of a chemical works - probably a warm microclimate.

Added later: 5 Large Red and a Blue-tailed reported from the same site today (31.03)

Last edited:
Hairy Dragonfly (2 probably 3) reported from Cricklade North Meadows SSSI (near Swindon I think) on 13.04.21
Yes, north of Swindon, just before you reach the boundary with Gloucestershire. It's the site of the famous snakeshead fritillary population. I see on iRecord that they were recorded there for the first time last year so perhaps spreading from the small population that's been in the Water Park for a while. So a great record both for the early date and the location.

Large Red emergences reported from Titchwell and Ynys-Hir in recent days, which seems to be about as far north as it's got so far.

Banded demoiselle in Hackney yesterday was a surprising one. Broad-bodied Chaser from Marc Heath's pond in Kent less surprising - something about the setup of that pond seems to result in a pretty regular supply of early records.

Broad-bodied Chaser at Teignmouth on 18.04 (FB UK Dragonflies & Damselflies group). Downy Emerald on 18th at Brentmoor Heath - photo on iRecord as well as on the facebook group. I looked for Beautiful Demoiselle yesterday (to equal my earliest ever) but failed - it was warmer last spring.

Last edited:
Golden-ringed reported from Penzance on Thursday 22nd. According to the BDS Twitter feed this is the first ever UK record in April.

Large Red reached north Lincolnshire on the 21st and Yorkshire (Tophill Low) on the 22nd.

Edit: and the first Large Red of the year for Scotland today, at Knockshinnoch Lagoons in Ayrshire.

Last edited:
Four-spotted Chaser reported from Whixall Moss, Shropshire on the 22nd. That's a very odd place to get the earliest record of a species for the year (other than White-faced Darter for which it's the southernmost site by a very long distance).

Azure Damselfly (Hampshire) and Beautiful Demoiselle (Wales) recorded 25.04.21. I have managed to find only two Large Red Damselflies so far.

Finally off the mark personally today. Until now my season's total was a lone emergent damsel on Saturday at Otmoor, which looked like a blur-tail but flew off before I got a good enough look at it. So a lunchtime trio to Lower Moor Farm, rewarded by a decent number of azures, a few teneral common blues and a couple of patrolling hairy dragonflies was very welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back