• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tropical Pewee (Tumbes Pewee) Peru (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
Is this a Tropical Pewee (aka Tumbes Pewee)? Seen at higher than 1800 m where Wood Pewees are not supposed to be. Also seems lighter than Wood Pewees and has more white between the eye and bill. What do you think?

Attachments

• Tropical Pewee (2).JPG
    Tropical Pewee (2).JPG
    896.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Tropical Pewee (10).JPG
    Tropical Pewee (10).JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 9
Peru doesn't seem to have either species of Tropical Pewee within it's range and within the Contopus genus, I'd say the recently split Tumbes Pewee, is the likely candidate (as long as you saw it in Western Peru in the region North of Lima), anywhere else in the country and you likely got a wintering Wood-Pewee.

Is Tumbes Pewee a split from Tropical Pewee? Wikipedia says that Tumbes Pewee is the same as Western Tropical Pewee. Wikipedia also says that the Tropical Pewee is the same as Southern Tropical Pewee. Apparently there is also a Northern Tropical Pewee. My book shows only one bird called simply "Tropical Pewee". No north, south or west and no Tumbes. I'm confused. How many Tropical Pewees are there and is the Tumbes Pewee another name for one of them? I did see it in northwest Peru above 1800 m.

Last edited:
I think this is tropical/Western/tumbes pewee. Wikipedia makes clear that what was tropical pewee has now been split into 3 species by ebird/Clements at least. I don't know how universally accepted this split is. Of course there are lots of other pewee species apart from this one/three

think this is tropical/Western/tumbes pewee. Wikipedia makes clear that what was tropical pewee has now been split into 3 species by ebird/Clements at least.
Thank you. I think I got this sorted out now.
Northern Tropical Pewee (Contopus Bogotensis) is found from southern Mexico to Columbia.
Southern Tropical Pewee (Contopus Cinereus) is found in Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay.
Contopus Cinereus was also the name for the Tropical Pewee before it was split into three.
Western Tropical Pewee and Tumbes Pewee are the same thing (Contopus Punensis) and is found only in western Ecuador and northwest Peru.
Is all this correct?

Thank you. I think I got this sorted out now.
Northern Tropical Pewee (Contopus Bogotensis) is found from southern Mexico to Columbia.
Southern Tropical Pewee (Contopus Cinereus) is found in Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay.
Contopus Cinereus was also the name for the Tropical Pewee before it was split into three.
Western Tropical Pewee and Tumbes Pewee are the same thing (Contopus Punensis) and is found only in western Ecuador and northwest Peru.
Is all this correct?
afaik. But I was unaware of this split until you mentioned it.

I don't believe the splitting of the "Tropical" Pewee complex is universally accepted among the various taxonomic authorities, but yes, what you lay out above is correct Maroon Jay. A couple points in favour of Tumbes vs either of the Wood-pewees are: clean white undertail coverts, short primary extension (typical of a non-migrant species, long distance migrants tend to have longer wings), white-ish lores.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back