• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trochilidae (3 Viewers)

The Williamson et al paper mentions the range of peruviana/chaski as reaching at least to southern Perù, while Howell and Schmitt list it as a fairly common resident in the Andes of northernmost Chile.
This was also the view in the Jaramillo guide to Chile, that the resident bird in highland northern Chile is Peruviana. Mind you, where I saw it was probably within 10 miles of the Peru border.

This was also the view in the Jaramillo guide to Chile, that the resident bird in highland northern Chile is Peruviana. Mind you, where I saw it was probably within 10 miles of the Peru border.
What about a ZooBank registration? The description is published online only, so ZooBank registration is required. Or have I overlooked it?

Gutierrez-Toro, J.C. and H.A.C. Mosos (2024)
Seasonal migration directs and facilitates gene flow in the Broad-tailed and Lucifer Sheartail Hummingbirds
Avian Biology Research (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1177/17581559241249053

Gene flow, the movement of genes between populations, profoundly influences genetic and phenotypic homogeneity among populations. This study investigates gene flow patterns in two migratory hummingbird species, Selasphorus platycercus and Calothorax lucifer, shedding light on the intricate interplay between migration, resource availability, and genetic diversity. Using previously published information on microsatellites, we examine the genetic makeup and the movement of genes within populations. Selasphorus platycercus displays distinct genetic groups which can be associated with its migratory behaviour. Gene flow analysis suggests a higher level of connectivity among populations sharing winter ranges. In contrast, Calothorax lucifer populations exhibit genetic divergence despite overlapping winter ranges, possibly due to environmental niche adaptation and limited reproductive opportunities for dispersing individuals. While geographical distance does not explain genetic differentiation in these species, environmental niche similarities appear to facilitate gene flow. This study underscores the significance of migratory routes, resource availability, and niche adaptation in shaping gene flow dynamics in hummingbirds. Understanding these dynamics is crucial for the conservation and management of these unique avian populations.

Apparently, most of the type series for Peruviana came out as the Southern form when genetically tested, but it sort of seems like a mess that maybe the ICZN might have to weigh in on? Until the nomenclature is better sorted out I don't see SACC splitting it.

I am just thankful my Giant Hummingbird was in the far north of there range in Ecuador, so I can be pretty confident I saw the Northern form.

as someone who stands to either gain or lose one species (or maybe end up even stevens i guess) on my list depending on how things pan out with this putative split, naturally I am heavily invested in figuring out the situation 🤪

the Williamson paper is a little contradictory on the range of the high altitude "chaski" taxon, saying on the one hand it is "a nonmigratory species ranging from southern Colombia to at least Southern Peru" based on the sampling locations of the chaski genotype birds i.e. no birds sampled in Chile were in that clade.

But in the formal description of the new taxon it says it "spans an altitude of 1,900 to 3,800 m in Chile" based on... i'm not sure exactly. It's not clear whether all the samples from northern Chile and Western Argentina etc that were found to be in the southern migratory clade were sampled during the period when they would have been migrating through the region rather than breeding but that is presumably the implication?

Range maps on Birdlife datazone and xeno-canto show resident birds stretching as far south as Santiago. Is that true? Are there birds breeding in the high Andes in Northern and Central Chile? If so, is there a discontinuity between their breeding range and the breeding range of the migratory lowland breeding birds?

Also, if there are birds breeding in the Chilean Andes, how confident can we be that they belong to the northern/high altitude chaski clade given no birds from that clade were sampled from that region?

a lot of questions....

cheers,
James

Check the ebird species map limited to months of Dec-Feb:

There are a number of observations around Putre etc in far north Chile, in San Pedro de Atacama in Argentina, and possibly some in the higher reaches around Santiago, but the latter ones more look like spill over from the lowland.
Niels

Fortunately I've seen Giant Hummingbird near Valparaiso, Chile and in Ecuador so I should have seen both but what do I do with the high altitude ones I've seen in Peru, Bolivia, Northern Argentina and northern Chile? Leave as Patagona sp I suppose

Check the ebird species map limited to months of Dec-Feb:

There are a number of observations around Putre etc in far north Chile, in San Pedro de Atacama in Argentina, and possibly some in the higher reaches around Santiago, but the latter ones more look like spill over from the lowland.
Niels
thanks Niels,
that seems to show the central Chilean lowland breeding population is geographically isolated from the other populations.
How about the birds in western Argentina - are they "southern" or "northern"? the paper isn't too clear about that.
James

Fortunately I've seen Giant Hummingbird near Valparaiso, Chile and in Ecuador so I should have seen both but what do I do with the high altitude ones I've seen in Peru, Bolivia, Northern Argentina and northern Chile? Leave as Patagona sp I suppose
paper suggests that any seen in those regions during October to April should be Northern?

Some of the birds in Argentina seems to be breeding in lowland to foothils on the eastern side of the Andes. Are they also the migratory group? Comparing the ebird maps indicate a lot fewer observations, but I do not know to what extent that reflects observer effort.
Niels

Albertazzi, F. J., Alvarado, G., & Stiles, F. G. (2024). Phylogenetic relationships of the Mangrove Hummingbird, “Amazilia” boucardi (Apodiformes: Trochilidae) of Costa Rica. Revista De Biología Tropical, 72(1), e49359. https://doi.org/10.15517/rev.biol.trop.v72i1.49359

Abstract
Introduction: A recent revision of the generic classification of the Trochilidae based on DNA sequences revealed many inconsistencies with the current generic classification, largely based on plumage characters subject to homoplasy, especially in the Trochilini, the largest tribe. A thorough generic reorganization brought the classification into accord with the phylogeny, but due to lack of genetic data, two species remained unclassified. One of these was the Mangrove Hummingbird, “Amazilia” boucardi, endemic to Costa Rica and included in the IUCN red list of threatened species. Objective: To obtain molecular evidence to clarify the generic relationships of “A.” boucardi. Methods: We isolated DNA from tissues of this species and amplified 4 nuclear and 4 mitochondrial fragments and compared these with homologous fragments from 56 species in the Trochilini, constructing phylogenetic trees with maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods. Results: Our phylogenetic analyses confirmed the placement of boucardi in the Trochilini and definitely excluded it from Amazilia but placed it with high confidence in the genus Chrysuronia Bonaparte, 1850, within which its closest relative is C. coeruleogularis, which also inhabits mangroves. Conclusions: Our genetic data based on nuclear and mitochondrial regions clearly indicate the relationship of A. boucardi and L. coeruleogularis. Moreover, it is also support by their habitat distribution in the mangroves of the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and Western Panama. Therefore, we suggested to exclude A. boucardi as "incertae sedis".

Albertazzi, F. J., Alvarado, G., & Stiles, F. G. (2024). Phylogenetic relationships of the Mangrove Hummingbird, “Amazilia” boucardi (Apodiformes: Trochilidae) of Costa Rica. Revista De Biología Tropical, 72(1), e49359. https://doi.org/10.15517/rev.biol.trop.v72i1.49359
Link doesn't work for me but View of Phylogenetic relationships of the Mangrove Hummingbird, “Amazilia” boucardi (Apodiformes: Trochilidae) of Costa Rica | Revista de Biología Tropical does.

Abstract
Introduction: A recent revision of the generic classification of the Trochilidae based on DNA sequences revealed many inconsistencies with the current generic classification, largely based on plumage characters subject to homoplasy, especially in the Trochilini, the largest tribe. A thorough generic reorganization brought the classification into accord with the phylogeny, but due to lack of genetic data, two species remained unclassified. One of these was the Mangrove Hummingbird, “Amazilia” boucardi, endemic to Costa Rica and included in the IUCN red list of threatened species. Objective: To obtain molecular evidence to clarify the generic relationships of “A.” boucardi. Methods: We isolated DNA from tissues of this species and amplified 4 nuclear and 4 mitochondrial fragments and compared these with homologous fragments from 56 species in the Trochilini, constructing phylogenetic trees with maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods. Results: Our phylogenetic analyses confirmed the placement of boucardi in the Trochilini and definitely excluded it from Amazilia but placed it with high confidence in the genus Chrysuronia Bonaparte, 1850, within which its closest relative is C. coeruleogularis, which also inhabits mangroves. Conclusions: Our genetic data based on nuclear and mitochondrial regions clearly indicate the relationship of A. boucardi and L. coeruleogularis. Moreover, it is also support by their habitat distribution in the mangroves of the Pacific coast of Costa Rica and Western Panama. Therefore, we suggested to exclude A. boucardi as "incertae sedis".
The last sentence confuses me: do they mean that boucardi should not be treated as "incertae sedis", but be included in Chrysuronia?
Or should it have said that "Amazilia" luciae should still be treated as "incertae sedis"?

The last sentence confuses me: do they mean that boucardi should not be treated as "incertae sedis", but be included in Chrysuronia?
Or should it have said that "Amazilia" luciae should still be treated as "incertae sedis"?
If you open the link in the post by Mark, their discussion contains this:
Our conclusion that the closest relative of C. boucardi is coeruleogularis (possibly they are sister species) is interesting, because both are habitants of mangrove swamps along the Pacific coast of Middle America, boucardi in Costa Ricaand coeruleogularis in Western Panama. In Colombia, the distribution of C. coeruleogularisthen follows the Caribbean slope in mangroves and adjacent habitats, while its place in the Pacific mangroves southward from extreme Eastern Panama is occupied by C. humboldtii (deLattre & Bourcier, 1846). Our results also agree with the classification of boucardi in Lepidopyga by Ridgway (1911) and Cory (1918): both species are now included in Chrysuronia. This leaves only the Honduran Emerald “Amazilia” luciae (Lawrence, 1867)still unclas-sified due to lack of a genetic sample. Although Schuchmann (1999) considered this species and boucardi to be possibly sisters (perhaps because of their geographical proximity), there are differences in their plumages that leave room for uncertainty, hence we prefer to leave luciae as “incertae sedis” until a genetic sample can be analyzed.
Niels

Abstract

That second to last sentence is interesting (besides just the type of "support" instead of "supported"). I suppose they're saying there is appropriate habitat for it in Panama, but as far as I know, it has never been recorded in Panama. Very close to the border, yes. Costa Rica only has 4 country endemics and one (Black-cheeked Ant Tanager) has been expanding its range into Panama. Everyone assumes at some point a vagrant MAHU will show up in Panama but I've yet to find any records of it happening. (Same with the expectation that Coppery-headed Emerald probably crosses into Nicaragua as a vagrant.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back