• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip report, Sharm El Sheikh (1 Viewer)

That was one adventure you had, I guess :)
Great report.
Can't believe they tried to tell you not to take pictures on Hotel grounds.

Where the sewage plants the one between Hadaba and Naama bay or the ones further North?

And in which part of Sharm was your Hotel?
I'm not so good with the coordinates.

Maybe this map clears things a bit (or makes them even more confusing). Anyway, the Google Earth co-ordinates are mentioned in trip report + there are 3 smaller maps for most important sites. Google Earth has been my lifeline during the latest trips, check it out.

cheers,
Uq

Attachments

• Charming-Sharm.jpg
    Charming-Sharm.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 180
Thanks, Robert!
The pools at the airport are easier to access, IF nobody is around to watch you getting through the fence. And then usually an innocent smile and the explanation that you are there for the birds and try to get more tourists there with your reports will let you get through,...

Thanks, Robert!
The pools at the airport are easier to access, IF nobody is around to watch you getting through the fence. And then usually an innocent smile and the explanation that you are there for the birds and try to get more tourists there with your reports will let you get through,...

I did not try those because I read somewhere that they are overgrown. And with all the difficulties I had with birds trying to stay in the shade, I just did not feel like going there. Plus, I had only so much time and was kind of sure the sandgrouse chances were better at the pools I visited.

I did not try those because I read somewhere that they are overgrown. And with all the difficulties I had with birds trying to stay in the shade, I just did not feel like going there. Plus, I had only so much time and was kind of sure the sandgrouse chances were better at the pools I visited.

The pools near the airport (the "Small" Pools) certainly weren't overgrown when I was there in March and I had good numbers of spotted sandgrouse on the morning of the 27th. Several groups and some single birds totalling over 50 altogether.

Perhaps the item you read referred to the "old pools" at Sharm- they are overgrown.

Attachments

• 205 Desert, Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    205 Desert, Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 210 Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    210 Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 211 Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    211 Sharm Small Pools, Nabq copy.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Spotted Sandgrouse (5) copy.jpg
    Spotted Sandgrouse (5) copy.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 134
The pools near the airport (the "Small" Pools) certainly weren't overgrown when I was there in March and I had good numbers of spotted sandgrouse on the morning of the 27th. Several groups and some single birds totalling over 50 altogether.

Perhaps the item you read referred to the "old pools" at Sharm- they are overgrown.

I definitely thought they were the same! So which ones are shown on the picture in post #5, labelled "small pools" next to a yellow pointer?

Then, there are two pointers, a green and a yellow one next to each other at the south end of the airport. Just a bit north of the golf course. No label there. Would that be the place for the old pools then?

The label for the small pools in post 5 is the correct location. Stop at the roundabout north of the airport and it's a short walk across the desert to the pools (these are the ones in my photos).

The "old pools" aren't identified on the picture in post 5. They can be seen as a small greyish smudge on that picture, with a southwest-northeast orientation on the north side of the east-west yellow road below the letters "ma" at the end of the word "Naama"

Funny. I didn't catch one Sandgrouse at the Sharm Pools, but I got them at the Small Pools |:$|

The greenery was cut back (sadly enough) right before breeding season (I think).

Here are some of my catches from there:
http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/nature/small+sewers:

Some idea of what it looks like (before the green was cut):
http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/nature/small-sewers-nabq

The label for the small pools in post 5 is the correct location. Stop at the roundabout north of the airport and it's a short walk across the desert to the pools (these are the ones in my photos).

The "old pools" aren't identified on the picture in post 5. They can be seen as a small greyish smudge on that picture, with a southwest-northeast orientation on the north side of the east-west yellow road below the letters "ma" at the end of the word "Naama"

Thanks, that will at least help for a next visit!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back