• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel in Europe from UK (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug

Just came across the above. Does this mean an end to birding trips to Spain? :oops: Can't think I will ever have spent a fraction of that anywhere as a birding tourist. At the end it also mentions France and needing to spend £120 - £65 per day - presume that won't affect visiting friends and family (if it does that would be even crazier...)

Nearly every country has some "proof of means" test on tourists. The UK has had one for decades. You will have ticked some box on the entry form they give you, just like to get into the USA you have to tick a box that indicates you are not a Nazi war criminal.

Boycott their resorts, there's a lot more to this world than France and Spain.
I do anyway ... at least I've hardly been to a resort in my life ;)

In terms of a nearby slightly exotic birding destination however (Pyrenees, Great Bustards etc etc) a couple of nearby and cheap destinations is a good thing, even if not needed for ticks. Wonder if that includes the Canaries too??

Nearly every country has some "proof of means" test on tourists. The UK has had one for decades. You will have ticked some box on the entry form they give you, just like to get into the USA you have to tick a box that indicates you are not a Nazi war criminal.
That will be good if so, and not enforced. Recall having to fill in forms eg in Turkey saying what hotel you were going to be staying in (put a standard one in, even though was never going to stay in it). However don't recall any time where you actually had to pay or prove money though - apart from Belarus/Russia iirc, which I think I couldn't afford to visit by the set criteria.

It's in the Daily Mail which immediately gives cause for scepticism...I don't think a daily spending limit would be enforced (or enforceable).

Looking beyond holiday travel, most countries have financial requirements for residence, even for other EU citizens you have to be able to show you can afford to live there. AFAIK one of the few EU countries which didn't enforce such restrictions, and didn't demand that you obtained a residency permit or keep a record of where you lived, was pre-Brexit Britain. Who then complained they needed to leave EU in order to 'take control of our borders'...now it's all Johnny Foreigner's fault that they've lost freedom of movement.

Boycott their resorts, there's a lot more to this world than France and Spain.
And a lot more to France and Spain than their resorts.
Amazing, in the last week, how many "let's take back control" types are telling me where I should go on holiday.

Cyprus has this entry criteria too. So this whopper is telling us to boycott the place he's emigrated to.

Last edited:
As said above, a credit card will more than satisfy this requirement should it ever be checked.

From May next year however, British citizens not resident in the Schengen zone (and all other non-visa requiring non-Schengen citizens) will need to apply for ETIAS travel authorisation before visiting any EU Schengen country. Pretty similar to ESTA for the US.

As said above, a credit card will more than satisfy this requirement should it ever be checked.

From May next year however, British citizens not resident in the Schengen zone (and all other non-visa requiring non-Schengen citizens) will need to apply for ETIAS travel authorisation before visiting any EU Schengen country. Pretty similar to ESTA for the US.
https://www.etias.info/ gives all the details.A bit of an extra process to go through (and pay for!) but no more trouble than downloading one's covid pass, I hope

Really, I don’t understand where the world is going. Closing frontiers equals going back to bad nationalisms which eventually lead to hate and all you can imagine from it. I feel like we’re slowly moving backwards to middle age..
Totally agree, just where are we talking ourselves into? I can only hope the common sense prevails from the so many GOOD people in all countries that I have met and have respect for.

regards
Merlin

Here is the corresponding criteria for holidaying in the UK from abroad..
Are border controls over reaching a bit here?! I'd say the answer to all of these is "none of your business!" Although for the sake of my holiday, I'd come up with a more creative, diplomatic response!

Screenshot_20220727-074146.png

Last edited:
Here is the corresponding criteria for holidaying in the UK from abroad..
Are border controls over reaching a bit here?! I'd say the answer to all of these is "none of your business!" Although for the sake of my holiday, I'd come up with a more creative, diplomatic response!

View attachment 1460036
So people in glass houses chucking stones comes to mind here - €100/day to travel in Schengen...£100-£150 for UK!

Getting back to the OP (and sticking with the birding theme before this thread gets chucked into Ruffled Feathers..) the people who will really suffer here are young birders attempting to travel around Europe or UK with very limited resources. Travelling around on an Inter Rail ticket with enough money (sometimes) for a campsite, surviving on a baguette and a bottle of cheap wine was part of mine and am sure a lot of other people's experiences, which we are going to deny to younger generations.

The problem with this is not that it will be enforced for every passenger, but it makes crossing borders more stressful for those who don't conform to the border guard's image of a conventional tourist, like dishevelled and impecunious young travellers.

I was wondering, do you still have to declare your race if travelling to the US as a tourist?

For ESTA, the USA wants to know who you are, where you live, where you were born, if you have other nationalities or ID cards and what you do for a living.
Optionally you can fill in your on-line presence. Then there are some questions if you are a criminal, if you have been denied entry, or if you visited a number of enemy nations.
You have to pay by credit card which answers some questions as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back