• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrushes, all different. April 2024 Florida. Sorry for back of camera photos but please ID if possible (1 Viewer)

goawildlifeenthusiast

India
I am thinking they are: Gray cheeked, Swainsons, Gray cheeked and veery in order (0508, 0509, 0510 and 0511 respectively)

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0510.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0511.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 61
Not sure about #3, but all the others look like Swainson's to me.
I agree with first 2 now, 3 I thought was gray cheeked since it was grayish rather than reddish brown and no eye ring. But I thought lack of spotting made 4 a veery.
American thrushes def aren't my strong point, but I got the impression of Swainson's for first 2, Gray-cheeked for third and possibly Veery for last as appears to lack any spotting
For 4, other people at the place ID it to be a gray cheeked, but I felt it was either a Swainsons or veery and leaned towards veery because of lack of spotting

I agree with first 2 now, 3 I thought was gray cheeked since it was grayish rather than reddish brown and no eye ring. But I thought lack of spotting made 4 a veery.

For 4, other people at the place ID it to be a gray cheeked, but I felt it was either a Swainsons or veery and leaned towards veery because of lack of spotting
I can't see how 4 could be Gray-cheeked with that richly coloured throat. Only thing I'm hesitant about is I thought Veery were supposed to have uniformly rufous upperparts, but this looks like the rufous primaries contrast with the rest of the back etc. That might mean it's a Swaison's too as Raymie says

Because these are - sadly - not the actual photos, or for other reasons, they are strongly oversaturated (no offence), so the colours cannot be relied on - especially the apparently-rufous areas.

Because these are - sadly - not the actual photos, or for other reasons, they are strongly oversaturated (no offence), so the colours cannot be relied on - especially the apparently-rufous areas.
What's your opinion on the ID's? You must see them more often than me (i.e. I've never seen any American thrush yet other than in photos/videos)!

But I thought lack of spotting made 4 a veery.

One thing in agreement with Gray-cheeked is the grey flanks. I am not sure many spots would be visible from this angle even if they were there.

Agree with Butty on getting home and upload actual photos.
Niels

Where in Florida are these? If on the Atlantic coast, don't we need to consider Bicknell's for any thrush that looks like GCTH?

Need to see real photos. I don't think the colors are real on two of them which means I probably shouldn't trust the other two either.
I'd guess 08 is Swainsons and 10 is grey-cheeked/bicknell; the other two have unnatural colors and could be anything.

Need to see real photos. I don't think the colors are real on two of them which means I probably shouldn't trust the other two either.
I'd guess 08 is Swainsons and 10 is grey-cheeked/bicknell; the other two have unnatural colors and could be anything.
Honestly given colors might not be accurate I'd guess they're all Swainson's, since they all them to have a defined eyering.

Honestly given colors might not be accurate I'd guess they're all Swainson's, since they all them to have a defined eyering.
Where in Florida are these? If on the Atlantic coast, don't we need to consider Bicknell's for any thrush that looks like GCTH?
One thing in agreement with Gray-cheeked is the grey flanks. I am not sure many spots would be visible from this angle even if they were there.

Agree with Butty on getting home and upload actual photos.
Niels
#1, #2 and #4 are swainson's, #4 is not a veery i found another angle and the streaks/dots are lower on the chest, #3 could possibly be gray cheeked but dont need ID as I found a clear photo of gray cheeked in my camera roll . Bicknells is not on the gulf coast. Topic can be closed

To me, all but the last and maybe the first photo are Swainson's. The last is Gray-cheeked.
Agree - and the first appears to be a Swainson's to me as well. Buffy spectacles appear to be somewhat obscured by the harsh lighting, but are still visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back