• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The New Forest (2 Viewers)

Jay23

I'm planning a day trip to the New Forest to look for some heathland and woodland specialities. Trouble is I don't know whare to begin. Anybody out there got any suggestions or favourite spots for Dartford warbler, LS woodpecker, Hawfinch etc?

Chris

Hawfinch have been reported this week in Black Gutter Bottom along with Crossbills and it is a good area for Hen Harriers. This area and across to Pitts Wood which is about 2K South is also known for Great Grey Shrike which has also been reported this week and on and off all winter. These sites are about 3 miles E of Fordingbridge on the South side of the B3078. Approx Grid SU200140

Beaulieu Road Station for Woodlark, Dartfords, Lesser Spot, Crossbill and assorted raptors. Hawfinch at Bolderwood in the cherry trees also Dartford nearby.

Have a good trip.

Nick

I can only add Blackwater Arboretum for Hawfinch, some birds roost there and can be seen from approximately 4.00 pm, usually in the trees on the left just through the gate. (SU 266 047)

Dartfords? Not too hard to find, listen to a recording of their voice before you go and then keep an eye open for a small dark bird diving into the bottom of a gorse bush.

Last edited:
Just been over the bank holiday weekend. Lesser Spot, Firecrests and Mandarins at Fritham Pond. Firecrests at Bolderwood. Dartfords easy at Milkham. Woodlark at Acres Down.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back