• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The grottiest bird watching site? (1 Viewer)

trw

Where is the least attractive bird watching site anywhere?
My contender would be the sea container/bird hide at Heysham in Lancashire, in the shadow of the nuclear power station.
To reach it you had to walk through a down- at - heel caravan site.
The piece de resistance however was the 'bird hide' itself.
Fishermen and down and outs used it to relieve themselves then discard their fags and unwanted sarnies.The smell was something else.
Mind you I used to see some great birds there, especially feeding terns.
I can't think of a grottier spot.
Can you?

At risk of alienating some good friends and great birders, the post apocalyptic landscape with a side order of petrochemicals and chlorine leaks that is Frodsham, takes some beating.

Never been there, but my imagination suggests the "Pitta in the Shitta", Goa, would take some beating!

Bit out of date here 'pratincol' the container hide at Heysham went years? ago. But you're spot on with your choice of 'grottiest site'

Oddly enough it was an item on the local news which brought this to the forefront of my mind-it was about installing wind turbines at Frodsham!
I remembered going there and, my god, it was grim!The bleak landscape and smoke billowing out of the factories and power station- it was so ugly it was almost beautiful!
Then I recalled Heysham and reckoned the old sea container/hide was even grottier.
I hadn't realised it no longer existed,the site was so bad I couldn't bring myself to ever go back there.

Last edited:
Where is the least attractive bird watching site anywhere?
My contender would be the sea container/bird hide at Heysham in Lancashire, in the shadow of the nuclear power station.
To reach it you had to walk through a down- at - heel caravan site.
The piece de resistance however was the 'bird hide' itself.
Fishermen and down and outs used it to relieve themselves then discard their fags and unwanted sarnies.The smell was something else.
Mind you I used to see some great birds there, especially feeding terns.
I can't think of a grottier spot.
Can you?

If you have only ever been to one hide that people relieved themselves in on a regular basis you are quite fortunate.

I haven't been to many old fashioned sewage farms but standing on a now closed tip in Northern Ireland was far less salubrious than Heysham.

I can't compete with nuclear power plants and pertochemical factories but in some reason this old landfill is one of my favourite places in a neigbourghood.

The region is old river mout and has previously been even better birding paradise, but the expansion of the harbor has reduced the area and destroyed part of biotopes. Now river is controlled in some places to travel in the narrow channel.
South side of this area is harbor and couple square kilometer asphalt court. On the east side is the pulp mill and the west side is industrial zone (where I work). On the north, behind river is smallish forestarea.
When walking there, you should carefully watch your steps, that you don't step on to the sheet metal scrap or other old wrecks. (But also because you don't wanna step into the skylark or plover nest.)

Attachments

• hovari2.jpg
    hovari2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 71
  • hovari1.jpg
    hovari1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
You beat me to it !! Luckily, on second visit found my own pitta elsewhere, so no need to return there.
Russ

This site isn't particularly ugly, it's just risky to go off the path and as you scan with your bins you may actually find someone using the facilities!

I've been to a few dump sites in Asia which seem to attract flycatchers in particular.

There's an immense dump on the outskirts of La Paz I think in Bolivia (could be wrong about site and country!) which I've seen video of and which attracts record numbers of Andean Condor

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back