• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tarcoles river trip (1 Viewer)

claretjohn

Planning tours etc. for our trip to CR in Jan 2017 and thinking of doing a river tour around the Tarcoles mangroves area. Has anyone any recommendations as to best tour company.....we're not interested in seeing crocodiles feeding ?
We have seen the "fantasticbirding.com" website and wondered if anyone had any comments.
Thanks
John

Where are you staying? The lodge called in the reservation for us on the previous day and made sure the company knew we wanted a birding tour.

Niels

Hi Niels,
Staying at Cerro Lodge so we're handy for Carara NP. Just that our Spanish is almost nil so we thought if we pre-arranged a trip via our UK agents then we might stand a better chance of explaining what we wanted.

The boats I saw there were mostly sized for groups, 15-20 people or so.
There are surely smaller ones available, but that may not be on a walk in basis. Definitely a place where prearrangement is important.
There are various little arms and tributaries where the boat can get very close to the shore. A good guide is essential to bring you to the right spots.

It is a wonderful trip, Boat Billed Herons, Thick-Knees, multiple Kingfishers, Spoonbills etc. Frigate Birds coming in for a fresh water dip and maybe a drink were another highlight.

I agree that at Cerro there will be someone with sufficient English to understand what you want and willing to help - that is where we stayed. I think I understood that the first trip in the morning was more of a birding trip than the later ones.

Niels

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately we are only there for a full day so we were thinking Carara in the morning and a relaxing boat trip in the afternoon. However we may be able to fit in a morning boat trip if its going to be more productive for birding.

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately we are only there for a full day so we were thinking Carara in the morning and a relaxing boat trip in the afternoon.

I don't doubt that morning is better, but our late afternoon tour proved quite productive. We did benefit from having our birding guide (Patrick O'Donnell) accompany us.

Gary H

Further to the above does anyone have any recommendations for a guide for Carara NP. I,ve read that there are several that wait at the gate but I would prefer to pre-arrange with a good all round guide (birds, wildlife and natural world in general).
John

Further to the above does anyone have any recommendations for a guide for Carara NP

My friends & I have birded Carara & the surrounding environs once each with Patrick O'Donnell & Randall Ortega Chaves (CRBJ). Their birding & ID skills are superb, and they have a more than passing familiarity with non-avian tropical wildlife.

Gary H

Sorry to raise this again but we have been unable to access the tour company website for www.fantasticbirding.com for a birding boat tour of the Tarcoles and I wondered if anyone knows if they are still in business.
Another river tour company " Jungle Crocodile Safari" has been recommended to us but these boats look very big (40-50 seaters) and may be too commercial / touristy for what we want ie. not interested in spending too much time looking at crocodiles.
Does anyone have any experience of either of these companies or can recommend anyone else please.
We will be in CR in early February.
Many thanks
John

I have also been with Patrick both there and elsewhere, and had good experiences

Niels

I don't know where Patrick lives but for some, the sticking point might be having to fund his overnight accommodation and additional costs on top of what a local guide would charge?

Not saying he's not worth it, he's got a great reputation but some on a tighter budget should probably be aware, I could also be totally wrong?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks. I did contact Patrick a while back as a possible guide for Carara but he said that he wasn't doing so much in that area now. I also think that his birding experience far outweighs my knowledge (and budget) so yes may not be the right choice.
I have booked Carara now with Cerro Lodge but still not sure about the Tarcoles river trip.
Cheers
John

I stayed at Cerro Lodge at my visit to the area. I asked them the previous day to arrange the morning trip on the river, and that worked out well.

Niels

Hi Niels,
Thanks, can you tell me which company you used, was it Jungle Crocodile Safari ? (40-50 seat boat with canopy. If so was it ok for photography ?
John

Hello John,
I only have written in the report "Mangrove Birding Tour". That report is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194095

I think the boat could have held about 20 with a big canopy over the whole thing. There were next to no other people around and I felt it easy to get to see some birds and take a few photos.

Niels

river trip

we were at cerro lodge in september we asked the staff about booking a trip out on river next morning which they duly organised we had a ride down the evening before to check it out, and ended up with a boat all to ourselves with just the skipper first thing in the morning, we saw pl enty i'm sure we would have seen more with a actual bird guide on board but funds were limited. also patrick o'donnell does a great app that covers all off costa rica. if you go near la fortuna check out geovanni bogerin at geovanitours.com brilliant little reserve and a lovely bloke. either way enjoy.

Thanks Binus1963 it's really nice to know that the trip Cerro organised was good....it gives me a bit more confidence.
I suppose it's a matter of luck to get the boat to yourself rather than find a bus load of day trippers arrive, unfortunately we are only there one day so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before hand.
Sadly La Fortuna may have to wait for another trip as our itinerary is already mapped out.....an excuse to go to CR again, hopefully !!
Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back