• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift with White Patches on Head (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Here are a couple of poor shots of one of the Swifts flying over my garden the other day. Does anybody know what the white patches on the head are? I have never noticed them before but, no doubt, they are a common feature.

Ron

Attachments

• Swift spot 1.jpg
    Swift spot 1.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Swift spot 2.jpg
    Swift spot 2.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 80
Here are a couple of poor shots of one of the Swifts flying over my garden the other day. Does anybody know what the white patches on the head are? I have never noticed them before but, no doubt, they are a common feature.

Ron

Quite a few swifts have random patches of pale feathers. Sometimes they are where other species of swift have pale patches and then they can take a little while to sort out!

Below is one I saw the other week.

John

Attachments

• 20200514 (66)_Swift.JPG
    20200514 (66)_Swift.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 62
I wonder if the first one is not an attached tick. Do Swifts get ticks? Would it be able to live with it?

Hasn't this sort of thing been discussed before? Maybe even an old article in BB or Birding World? Think it could be a white feather collected for nesting material?

Many thanks for all your replies. Thinking about it the last suggestion of feathers for nesting material sounds good. I had some other shots where the white patches are on both sides of the head and look quite fluffy and tufty. I think I might have deleted them as they were not very good but I will see if I have still got them.

Ron

Like what Ian says think they are nesting material if you look closely under the chin it looks like a piece is dangling. Great shots though.

Here is another shot of a Swift over my garden. I think this one suggests that it is indeed a white feather that it has collected for nesting material.

Ron

Attachments

• Swift spot 3.jpg
    Swift spot 3.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back