• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 7X42 (1 Viewer)

Army surplus, laser filter, will degrade the view.
Think the visual impact would be small, 7x42 has plenty of light and the laser filter is pretty unobtrusive.
Even the old Zeiss DF 7x40 was visually excellent, despite less than 70% light transmission because of losses from the built in laser filter, reticle and IR sensor.
The IF design however may be a handicap for birding with this glass.

Think the visual impact would be small, 7x42 has plenty of light and the laser filter is pretty unobtrusive.
But the laser filters will definitely cost quite a bit of light and alter the colour balance. I've got a couple of Hensoldt military binoculars (Hensoldt Fero-D16, Hensoldt Fero-D17), and the removal of the laser filters does make a lot of difference.

Hermann

But the laser filters will definitely cost quite a bit of light and alter the colour balance. I've got a couple of Hensoldt military binoculars (Hensoldt Fero-D16, Hensoldt Fero-D17), and the removal of the laser filters does make a lot of difference.

Hermann
Interesting to get a before and after reality check.
The color balance impact makes sense, a laser filter is powerful at specific frequencies, but that always filters more than just those.
I was happy with my 7x40 DF as is, despite its strong yellow color cast and so never tried one without.

The color balance impact makes sense, a laser filter is powerful at specific frequencies, but that always filters more than just those.
Yep, the difference is very obvious. The filters in my 7x50 were removed by Zeiss when they still had the necessary spare parts, and it can now compete optically with the best 7x50s on the market (with the obvious exception of the Nikon WX ... :) ). My 8x30 still has its laser filters, and even with the filters it's a nice, tough binocular, despite the lowish transmission and the green colour cast. I often take it as my "reserve binocular" on trips abroad.
I was happy with my 7x40 DF as is, despite its strong yellow color cast and so never tried one without.
The 7x40 EDF was quite something. IMO the toughest roof prism binocular ever made, with very decent optics, despite the lack of phase-coatings and the lowish transmission and of course the yellow cast.

Hermann

As I know the only laser filter on the DF was controlled by a knob on the left tube not installed like the internal ones on the Hensoldt Fero D models.

As I know the only laser filter on the DF was controlled by a knob on the left tube not installed like the internal ones on the Hensoldt Fero D models.
Nope. No laser filters in the East German binos 7x40 DF and 7x40 EDF. The lever switched the infrared detector.

Hermann, that is correct about the infrared detector (not laser filter.. dooh) , that is why the left tube is always the one to get any haze inside.

The accessories for the military ones are different too and I don't think have changed for many year. That strap is the standard one, pretty much identical to the one on my if ga 8x30. Also the ocular guard is rubber and deeper where as the civilian ones are plastic - you can't necessarily see that from the photos.

From what I've been told Swarovski always over produce for military orders by 5%, I suppose in case there are any problems, sometimes these make there way into civilian hands. Mine were excess from a 2012 order from the Saudi military.

Will

Hermann, that is correct about the infrared detector (not laser filter.. dooh) , that is why the left tube is always the one to get any haze inside.
Afaik, the lever on the 7x40DF was to move an IR sensitive screen into the light path.
That gave a bright spot when observing a heat source such as a tank engine at night. I don't think there was an actual image as with modern night vision.
As WRL has noted the old porro 7x40DF glass did not have laser filters, it was produced before these became common.
I don't know whether the later EDF version ever had one, but accept WRLs assurance that it did not.
I was mistaken to believe that it had one, thought it was the norm for 1980s vintage military binoculars.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back