• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallowtail Id. Help (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Hi just back from Zante where I saw several swallowtail sp. flying in "apartments" type habitat and general med. cliff scrub. On one occasion I saw long extensions on the lower wing, so am presuming Scarce. I just wondered if anyone else has had experience of swallowtails in Zante, and which species it's most likely to be? They were daily but never stopped unfortunately.

I also saw this blue - any ideas, (shocking photo - only had my I-pad)? if it's the same butterfly I saw flying it was a quite a purple blue. Uniform underwing with an arch of black spots.

Attachments

• IMG_0022a.jpg
    IMG_0022a.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 66
Almost certainly scarce swallowtail. They're anything but scarce in the Ionian islands. Can't help with the blue, sorry.
regards,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back