• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange gaps in British county lists. (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
I’ll start the ball rolling with Norfolk - Lesser Scaup and Red-eyed Vireo are strange gaps in the, very large, county list.

As I live in Suffolk, I will have to think what the most glaring absences are, top of my head I’m thinking Bonaparte’s Gull.

What other weird gaps are there in other British counties?

Penduline Tit yet to be recorded in the entire West Midland Bird Club region (Staffs, Worcs, Warks and West Mids).

No Dusky Warbler or Long-billed Dowitcher in Staffordshire.

OBP and Radde's still absent from the Somerset list, there are a few others I can't remember off the top of my head which should've occurred by now too.

I don't think there's a White-billed Diver on the list of any county in north-west England, a group of Cumbria birders saw one on a pelagic from Maryport but it was accepted as 'at sea'.

This is fun.

Going through Birds of Wales it is interesting to note that in spite of Llanddulas to Colwyn Bay (Denbighshire) being a real hot spot for the species (up to 8 during winter 2014/15), Flintshire is still awaiting it's first Surf Scoter. There's currently at least three less than four miles from it's border. Been recorded off North Wirral too.

Think Cornwall had it's first Marsh Sandpiper a few years ago ... may be wrong, but thinking about it not likely to be submitted iirc ... so possibly Cornwall still needs the species? Don't know if anything more obvious missing ...

I don't think there's a White-billed Diver on the list of any county in north-west England, a group of Cumbria birders saw one on a pelagic from Maryport but it was accepted as 'at sea'.
You can continue that along the North Wales coast until you get to Anglesey, with one in 1991 (Pembrokeshire being the only other Welsh county with records, a couple passing Stumble in '99 & '11).

Is it surprising that there aren't more RBFs found inland? Its not like they are mega rare on the coast at the right locations.

Yes, but a known anomaly???

(Maybe a combination of not being found (observer coverage/can be elusive in cover) along with a genuine aversion to stopping off inland).

Seem to recall reading the account of someone who twitched a WBD at Audenshaw Res, Gtr Manchester as a young birder in the 1970s. 🤩🦢🦆

Suffolk: Black-throated Thrush, nearly 100 records country-wide.

Rare but a bit surprising as the county is good for Waders: Greater Sand Plover, Least Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper.

& Slate-coloured Junco,

Leicestershire and Rutland lack Pallas's Warbler (currently regaling itself just a few miles from the county boundary in Notts) and Dartford Warbler ( Notts had two recently). Also Little Bunting, Penduline Tit and Red-breasted Flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back