• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel Question (1 Viewer)

emc

Earlier today I noticed a squirrel foraging for food in the snow, each time it picked up food and started nibbling away it would like on its side. Anyone know why it would do that?

Earlier today I noticed a squirrel foraging for food in the snow, each time it picked up food and started nibbling away it would like on its side. Anyone know why it would do that?

Sounds weird, but it might be hiding the fact that it had found food from other squirrels.

Against the snow, the silhouette of a squirrel sitting upright with its paws up to its face would be a give away to other squirrels that food had been found.

I'm only guessing but feeding activity of an individual attracts others in many species so why not squirrels?

Lee

Hmm I never thought of that, you could be right. I thought that there might have been something wrong with the squirrel but it seemed to be walking around with no problem.

Sounds weird, but it might be hiding the fact that it had found food from other squirrels.

Against the snow, the silhouette of a squirrel sitting upright with its paws up to its face would be a give away to other squirrels that food had been found.

I'm only guessing but feeding activity of an individual attracts others in many species so why not squirrels?

Lee

If the squirrel sunk into the snow, you can add avoiding predator eyes to
the benefits. Fisher-Cats and foxes would have a harder time around here.
...ground predators. Our squirrels are extremely wary of the fisher.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back