• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Eagle owl (2 Viewers)

Nicky mwangi

Nicky mwangi
This Owl has been roosting in my back yard at Ndeiya, some 44km North of Nairobi.In comparison to the same Species i had At Lake Baringo, this one looks paler.Just wondering if environmet plays a role when it come to plumage.

Attachments

• rsz_spotted_eagle_owl2.jpg
    rsz_spotted_eagle_owl2.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 71
There is a zoogeographic rule stating that animals living in a warmer, more humid environment tends to be darker than those living in cooler, dryer areas (Gloger's rule). I don't know if that can explain your observation.

Niels

Spotted Eagle Owl

Hi Nicky,
Sounds like a good photo you got as well good observations you made. If we read from the same script fellow bird guide. The photo you have is for Spotted Eagle Owl and this species has been split into 2.
1) the one found south of Equator and this is where you are located/distribution in Ndeiya is SPOTTED EAGLE OWL while;

2) the one found in Baringo and of which it is located North of Equator is now referred as GREYISH EAGLE OWL hope make any help if not we may have to consult more

With kind regards from,

Joseph Mwangi
Nature's Wonderland Safaris
P.o Box 5763-00100 G.P.O
Tel +254 - 020 - 2211402
+254 - 020 - 2211413

Cell phones +254-(0)722-987544
+254-(0)735-734788
Fax +254-(0)20 -2211413
Nairobi,Kenya.
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]
http://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back