• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some less-than-great leaf warbler views from NE India (1 Viewer)

I think the first two images show the same bird, and with double wingbars but plain wing otherwise and bold head markings, including a crown stripe, I'd say it's a Blyth's Leaf Warbler.

The bird in the third photo looks like a different individual. It has a mottled cheek, a hint of dark centres to the greater coverts and also of a dark block at the base of the flight feathers. I would expect to see pale edges to the tertials, but they're not in evidence in this image, perhaps because it's moulted them on the side we can see? It could be Yellow-browed or perhaps the form mandellii of Hume's Leaf Warbler.

Blyth's would make sense as that's the default one I was identifying here (by song mostly), and the markings you indicate. This was a different elevation though, so I wondered if it was anything else (and one person said western crowned warbler, which despite my lack of Phyllo knowledge I can say quite certainly it's not, so I was just hoping for other thoughts.

Seems the second individual (third photo) is going to be a life bird for me if it isn't Blyth's, but we'll see if anything can be made of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back