• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL 8x30 worth it? (1 Viewer)

Upland

Simple question to those who Own the SFL 8x30: is it worth the price and why or why not? I would appreciate sticking to the question and no hijacking of the thread. With something like another bino is better and that leading to debating the merits of it versus the SFL. That and strictly your opinion on the SFL would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance?

PS please don’t say read the reviews here. I already have.

I don’t own a pair of SFL 8x30 as I had already invested in Swarovski 8x32 ELs.
However, I have looked through a pair and found them to be very good (approximately 30 minutes experience, in good light)

In contrast to Bill, I have been able to „resolve the blackout issue“ and certain problems with ease of view, which I reported about in my earlier thread here, and find the 8x30 fairly priced (I paid 1‘520 CHF); as you read my review/comparison, you will know why.
For what it‘s worth: I appreciate the 8x40 even a bit more, it has become one of my most used binos.

As I could never satisfactorily resolve the blackout issue they were definitely not worth it.
Like Canip I could so they are worth it. They are not perfect but I find myself using them very often because they give me a view almost as good as the SFL 8x40 but are more compact, weight less...

So I picked them when going to England to look at wildlife in a natural park as well as yesterday to watch a dance spectacle in Paris because our seats were far way from the stage.
Well it was the idea but my wife stole them and she is very particular when it comes to binoculars but she is more than ok with the SFL 8x30.

Thanks Dennis. As per usual you did Exactly what I asked posters to not do. Compare to other models. Always amazes me how disrespectful you are.

Definitely worth it for us. My wife has the 10x30, I have the 8x30. So she does not need to steal mine. :LOL:

For both of us, these SFLs have become our new standard binoculars. We wanted much lighter weights, so the x40 models were no option for us. Optically the x30s are virtually equal for our purposes. And considering the universal use intended, the price is definitely ok. With the cashback it came close to being a bargain. :ROFLMAO: (I had to buy a 5$ used model to send in, though.)

Last edited:
Hello,

One consideration in judging a binocular should be recognition that a "lifetime guarantee,' may be limited by the life of the company. Maven does not have the history of Zeiss, or even of Meopta. Some of us have experienced the "lifetime guarantee" of Zen-Ray, which did not last a decade. Other importers have had issues with servicing discontinued lines after less than a decade.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Dennis, last July…

“The SFL is easily worth the $800 difference in price, IMO. If you had an SF 8x42 and a Conquest HD 8x32, you could replace them both with the SFL 8x40 and save a lot of money. Really, if you have an 8x42 and an 8x32 for their different advantages, you could sell them both and just get the SFL 8x40. It is brilliant!”

Before he sold them, then slagged them ….

Would you be willing to tell us why?
Upland asked not to go into comparison and I said why in other threads already so I would rather avoid and stick with "for me, yes, the SFL 8x30 are worth it".
Of course, "worth it" is not really something defined universally and objectively.

I have the SFL 8x40 and I think it's a fantastic piece of kit, as are all my Zeissigs. (I am investigating the SFL 8x30 vs the VP 8x25 as a possible EDC.)

As far as hankering after an SF or some such: back when I was at university and looking to buy my first real hifi system I tested many speakes at hifi studios or other people's places. The Quad ESLs were pure brilliance but way above my financial means. I settled for a pair of ARES speakers with a matching subwoofer. Many years later I was invited to a hifi studio to attend the presentation of the new Nautilus speakers by B&W. I went home impressed but sure that my ears could not really appreciate the ca. 54k price difference between their setup that night and what I had at home (Quad 77/ARES), or rather that the audible difference was not worth that amount to me even if I had had the money.
Long story short - my old eyes are very, very happy with the SFLs and would most likely not perceive a 1k or 2k more expensive instrument as bringing that much improvement, if any at all. After all, how can a perfect view be improved upon?

Why do you think everyone will be like you?
Because I'm inherently selfish, it's all about me.

I admire anyone that can stick with a binocular and not be allured or charmed by it's successor or the model above.
It is a natural phenomenon to want more, better or next, that is inbuilt into the organism.
If we take Dennis for example and place him back a few thousand years you'd probably find him picking all kinds of different fruit from the trees and trying lots of other things! today his fruit of choice is binoculars and you could say he is a pioneer of the human evolution.

In today's age most will suppress desires to conform to their cultural constraints.
It's just the way it is.

Because I'm inherently selfish, it's all about me.

I admire anyone that can stick with a binocular and not be allured or charmed by it's successor or the model above.
It is a natural phenomenon to want more, better or next, that is inbuilt into the organism.
If we take Dennis for example and place him back a few thousand years you'd probably find him picking all kinds of different fruit from the trees and trying lots of other things! today his fruit of choice is binoculars and you could say he is a pioneer of the human evolution.

In today's age most will suppress desires to conform to their cultural constraints.
It's just the way it is.
Interesting take on things.... you have obviously not seen how the younger generations hunker after the latest and greatest mobile phones!! :) :) :) I would suggest it is more the other way, cultural pressure leads to people wanting the newest model of everything - FOMO seems to be the driving factor along with not being seen to be out of date or old fashioned!!

Very timely thread. A couple of days ago I was finally able to test the SLF 30 (last time I went to give them a try they only had the 40 in store). My idea is for the SLF 8x30 to replace both my EL SV 8x32 and my Traveller ED 8x32, which are namely my favourite non-IS go-to binoculars and the one I end up taking quite often due to weight and size.

SFL830_EL832_Traveller832.jpeg

My test was short, some minutes both inside and outside the store, so nothing to add to experiences from people who own them and have used them for longer periods. But just the coincidence that when I left the shop the only question in my mind is exactly the title of this thread.

I tried the SLF 8x40 some weeks ago and loved it, and the 8x30 version offers a quite impressive view as well (sharpness and contrast are so nice) although the comfort levels are lower, as was to be expected due to size. So now I'm thinking it over, with the title of this thread in mind, so I'm reading with great attention opinions and experiences from other forum members. Keep them coming! :)

The SFL is excellent glass by any measurement, the optics are excellent and they fit a niche in the market. I also feel they’re kind of in their own optical category, a step up from the Conquests, MHG and Trinovids HD’s, and just below the top of the line, SF, NL, EL, etc. etc.. That being said I think their overpriced, but I also think the top of line are overpriced as well, but we’re paying for something else there. In my opinion we’re paying for a combination , a package if you will, excellent optics and the 5oz savings in weight. If there was no L in SFL, I don’t think these would be a very good seller.

At first I thought Zeiss did a smart thing here, but after more discussions , it’s possible these will hurt SF and Conquest sales. I’m sure Zeiss gave that consideration and maybe that’s why they’re priced the way they are. I always thought they could’ve done this concept with a new Conquest plus model, SFL optics in a light weight body and charge a few hundred dollars more.

Paul

The SFL is excellent glass by any measurement, the optics are excellent and they fit a niche in the market. I also feel they’re kind of in their own optical category, a step up from the Conquests, MHG and Trinovids HD’s, and just below the top of the line, SF, NL, EL, etc. etc.. That being said I think their overpriced, but I also think the top of line are overpriced as well, but we’re paying for something else there. In my opinion we’re paying for a combination , a package if you will, excellent optics and the 5oz savings in weight. If there was no L in SFL, I don’t think these would be a very good seller.

At first I thought Zeiss did a smart thing here, but after more discussions , it’s possible these will hurt SF and Conquest sales. I’m sure Zeiss gave that consideration and maybe that’s why they’re priced the way they are. I always thought they could’ve done this concept with a new Conquest plus model, SFL optics in a light weight body and charge a few hundred dollars more.

Paul
All true Paul, but I think from a Zeiss point of view they are offering a series of models from Terra, through Conquest and SFL to Victory and so allowing the opportunity for customers to choose the price that suits their budget in the best way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back