• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Schliephacke's (Sword-billed) Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
As a mere sidetrack of the many names/typos posted by 'kweetal' recently (here) I happened to take a look at the alleged "Docimastes ensifer schliephacki" [sic]... which simply was/is a typo for ...

schliephackei as in:
• the invalid "D. [Docimastes] Schliephackei" HEINE 1863 (here, in Latin):
Duo quae descripsi specimina maria alterum Musei Heineani a Frasero prope Riobambam reipublicae Aequatorialis pagum occisum alterum in monte Chimborazo vixisse dictum musei Berolinensis Ferdinando et Eduardo Schliephackeis dicavi, avunculis carissimis veneratissimis morte immatura heu nuper defunctis, qui rerum venatoriarum peritissimi indigeno illo, ut ita dicam, genti Schliephackeanae historiae naturalis penitus indagandae et investigandae studio flagrantes frequentes patris museum visere et benevoli frequentium venationum praedas rarissimas interdum ac pretiosissimas dono ei dare nunquam cessabant. —

In today's Key explained as:
schliephackei
Ferdinand Schliephacke (fl. 1860) and Eduard Schliephacke (fl. 1860) German businessmen, uncles of Julie Heine, wife of ornithologist Ferdinand Heine (syn. Ensifera ensifera).

Even if I know nothing about those guys I notice that there's a "Carl Eberhard Ferdinand Schliephacke" that died in 1861 (here), and a "Heinrich Friedrich Eduard Schliephacke" mentioned both in 1862, and 1863 (here, resp. here).

If they are "our guys" I cannot tell, and if those two somehow were connected to Mrs Heine is equally unknown (at least by me) ... but they might be!?

Also note that a guy by the same name, "der Amtmann Eduard Schliephacke", seems to have passed in 1863 (23 February, here).

If relevant?

But I would think so, as the OD, of 1863 (in Heft III, No.63, of "Mai"/May) told us:"... avunculis carissimis veneratissimis morte immatura heu nuper defunctis, ..." which (according to Google Translate) means: "... my dearest and most venerable uncles, alas recently deceased, ..." though, note (or remember) that neither Latin, nor German, is my "home turf". ;)

Either way, take it for what it's worth, it's just some observations ...

If nothing else, maybe it's a way, some pieces in the puzzle, to find their Births as well. In my mind, both should be able to trace/find (that is, if you understand German, of course).

🧩

And note that there are quite a few guys by this surname in the MyHeritage database (here).

If anyone have full access, and feel like giving it a go: Good luck!

Björn

PS. As it's a dual dedication, I assume schliephacke(i)orum ought to have been a more proper scientific name (even if today invalid, of course).

PPS. According to the Key; the wife of Ferdinand Heine (Jr.) was; Julie Heine, born/née Ernst (1823–1878), commemorated in the (Collared/Pacific/Vanuatu) Kingfisher ssp. Todiramphus sacer/chloris juliae HEINE 1860, as "Sauropatis Juliae" (here), a Lady earlier dealt with (alt. mentioned) back in 2014, here (in post #1, as well as in #5 and #7).

🧩

/B

Last edited:
Well first things first

Johanna Susanne Antoinette Juliane Ernst (1823–1878)
BIRTH 6 JUN 1823 • St Burchard Klostergut, Halberstadt, Deutschland
DEATH 17 FEB 1878 • St Burchard Klostergut, Halberstadt, Deutschland
Married
Carl (or Karl) Wilhelm Julius Ferdinand Heine (1809–1894)
on 5 NOV 1839 at St.Burchard Klostergut, , Halberstadt, Deutschland

Juliane Ernst's parents were Ludwig Ernst (of Halberstadt) and Juliane Schliephacke (of Roklum).

Juliane Schliephacke's parents were Johann Friedrich Schliephacke and Dorothea Christiane Diederichs

Her brothers were Carl Eberhard Ferdinand Schliephacke (c.1797- 27 Aug 1861) and Heinrich Friedrich Eduard Schliephacke (c.1799-23 Feb 1863).

Ferdinand was "Königl Post Commissarius" and Eduard was an Advocate in Halberstadt and later an Amtmann back in Roklum.

The whole story is here: https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/Ornith-Jber-Heineanum_22_0085-0094.pdf

Last edited:
Johanna Susanne Antoinette Juliane Ernst (1823–1878)
BIRTH 6 JUN 1823 • St Burchard Klostergut, Halberstadt, Deutschland
DEATH 17 FEB 1878 • St Burchard Klostergut, Halberstadt, Deutschland
Married
Karl Wilhelm Julius Ferdinand Heine (1809–1894)
on 5 NOV 1839 at St.Burchard Klostergut, , Halberstadt, Deutschland

I grew a bit confused here, as Wikipedia, and the Key, have both Heines as "Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine" :
  • "Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine", alt. Ferdinand Heine senior (1809-1894), owner of a very large collection of birds known as the Museum Heineanum, and who would thus be Juliane's husband;
  • "Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine", alt. Ferdinand Heine junior (1840-1920), their son, author of the present description (and also co-author with Cabanis of the works that described his father's collection).
Is the name of the father wrong ?

In the OD, Ferdinand Heine junior calls Ferdinand and Eduard Schliephacke his (dearest, most venerable, alas deceased of an untimely death) uncles.

Last edited:
Is the name of the father wrong ?

Attached is the death record of
der königliche Oberamtmann Carl Wilhelm Julius Ferdinand Heine, 85 Jahre 19 Tage alt evangelischer Religion, wohnhaft zu Halberstadt Am Kloster 1, geboren zu Halberstadt, verheirathet gewesen mit Julie geborenen Ernst, verstorben zu Halberstadt,
who died
am achtundzwanzigsten Maerz des Jahres tausend acht hundert neunzig und vier, Nachmittags um zwölf ein halb Uhr

So, yes, I'd say it definitely looks like this was the actual full name of Ferdinand Heine senior (1809-1894).

Attachments

• Ferdinand Heine Sr - death.jpg
    Ferdinand Heine Sr - death.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
To come back on original topic.
Carl Eberhard Ferdinand Schliephacke

From attached file I would remove the Eberhard as additional name. As he was 65 years 2 month 7 days at date of death I would go for birth 20. June 1796

Heinrich Friedrich Eduard Schliephacke
Eduard Schliephacke was 64 years 9 month 29 days at time of death so I would go for 26. Jan 1798 as date of birth. I would also remove Heinrich Friedrich as additional names.

But feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Maybe baptism records contain the additional names (but I haven't seen them).

Attachments

• Carl Ferdinand Schliephacke.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • Eduard Schliepenhacke.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back