• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad in Galapagos (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
I am currently in Galapagos. Two of the areas that I planned to visit are closed due to avian flu. So I guess I will never get to see the Red-footed Booby or the Waved Albatross. There are a total of three closed areas: Genovesa Island, Punta Pitt on San Cristobal and Espanola Island. One dead bird was found in each area. Question: if bird flu spreads from bird to bird and not to humans, how does keeping humans out improve the situation?

I am currently in Galapagos. Two of the areas that I planned to visit are closed due to avian flu. So I guess I will never get to see the Red-footed Booby or the Waved Albatross. There are a total of three closed areas: Genovesa Island, Punta Pitt on San Cristobal and Espanola Island. One dead bird was found in each area. Question: if bird flu spreads from bird to bird and not to humans, how does keeping humans out improve the situation?
bummer. I believe it spreads by humans as well, so any human-bird contact can spread the disease as well.

My understanding is that it can be transmitted through contact with feces, so walking in an infected seabird colony and then visiting another without cleaning footwear could make you a vector. Avian flu has been brutal recently and extreme caution in the Galapagos would seem highly sensible.

Yep, keeping humans out it to protect you more than the birds. The survival rates for humans with these newer strains is not good at all, something like 55-60% of humans die when infected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back