• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufugio Pas de las Aves - from bellavista or sachatamia ? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm just making final tweaks to our itinerary. Is it easiest to get to RPdlA from Bellavista or Sachatamia, and how long should we allow for the journey ? On googlemaps it looks simplest from bellavista but I'm not sure of the road quality and I've read that it can take an hour from there (googlemaps says 14 mins !). Given the need to be on site by 5.30 that means a 4.30 start !!

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
I remember the direct route from Bellavista as a gravel road of uncertain quality. We did the drive from Bellavista but took the round-about route past Tandayappa. I cannot remember if it took a half hour or longer, pretty sure it was not a full hour. I think from Sashatamia might be a little shorter and more direct.

Niels

The main problem is that the reserve isn't very well signposted. In fact I'm not sure it's signposted at all! The road can be done in a regular car, but it sometimes requires a bit of care and can be quite muddy. The turning up to the lodge isn't marked. It's a left hand turn up a somewhat steep hill and you'll see some buildings on the left hand side from the junction. Can't remember exactly how long it takes from the main road, but maybe 20 minutes or so.

We were met at the intersection with the main road by one of the two brothers running it. They provided enough of a description that we found the right intersection to wait at.

Niels

I remember the direct route from Bellavista as a gravel road of uncertain quality. We did the drive from Bellavista but took the round-about route past Tandayappa. I cannot remember if it took a half hour or longer, pretty sure it was not a full hour. I think from Sashatamia might be a little shorter and more direct.

Niels

Thanks Niels. 30 mins to an hour isn't too bad I guess. For our itinerary it fits best to visit from Bellavista so we will probably stick with that.

The main problem is that the reserve isn't very well signposted. In fact I'm not sure it's signposted at all! The road can be done in a regular car, but it sometimes requires a bit of care and can be quite muddy. The turning up to the lodge isn't marked. It's a left hand turn up a somewhat steep hill and you'll see some buildings on the left hand side from the junction. Can't remember exactly how long it takes from the main road, but maybe 20 minutes or so.

Thanks Andrew. I'll make sure the driver knows EXACTLY where lodge is before booking !

Hello,

They don´t meet at the main road anymore. If you want to go on your own use Google Maps. Much better with a driver. When we organize tours we leave from our hotel at 5:20am to be there before 6:00am

We were met at the intersection with the main road by one of the two brothers running it. They provided enough of a description that we found the right intersection to wait at.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back