• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rodia Wetlands up to date info? (1 Viewer)

NAB

Hi,

I'm heading to Parga on June 8th and I'm looking for any up to date info on the above site in terms of general access etc please?

I'll be looking for both Pelicans and Pygmy Cormorant?

Regards,

Neil

Referring back to my original enquiry and if anyone picks this up who also wishes to do some bird watching whilst holidaying in the Parga area, the following brief summary may be of use from June 2014:

Refer to online guide from previous post

Lake Pamvotida (Ioannina):

Ioannina is a couple of hours drive from Parga, en route we saw little bird wise and stopping places were none existent on the main road. Ioannina itself was a most pleasant city, which both my wife and I enjoyed exploring. Regarding the lake, you need to navigate the city and get on the minor road on the northern side of the lake, which runs along the lake shore. Before you reach the Island, there is a track which can be walked on foot through the reed beds and here we found Penduline Tits easy to connect with, which were easily picked out by their calls. I also flushed a Rock Bunting from the start of the track by the road. Carrying on round the lake we found various viewing points, where my main target was Pygmy Cormorant; however despite much searching, we failed to find any. Birding highlights did include 2 Dalmatian Pelicans and high concentrations of Great Crested Grebes which covered the entire lake!

Rodia Wetlands

Overall we found the area to be very quiet bird wise, as Spring migration had long since finished; however we did find reasonable numbers of both Dalmatian (30+) and White Pelicans (10+), with all the Dalmatians being in non-breeding plumage, which was a surprise? Good numbers of Greater Flamingos were also in residence and again we found Penduline Tits easy to connect with. We did attempt to try some of the minor tracks as described in the online guide (Vigla to Strongyli); however these were only just passable in a small car and not to be recommended. Birds encountered in this area included Rock Nuthatch, Black-eared Wheatear (feeding young) and Olive Tree Warbler.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back