• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

River warbler or common grasshopper warbler? (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
North-eastern Poland, 12th of May, about 6/7 pm, the bird was singing in bushes next to a swamp (with greylag geese, shovelers, gadwalls and wood sandpipers), there's a big lake near with a lot of waterfowl, I didn't see the warbler.

Attachments

• 231228_0390.MP3
    561.9 KB
  • 231228_0391.MP3
    465.6 KB
  • 231228_0392.MP3
    663.9 KB
I agree with Ken. Do you use xeno-canto.org?...... I did send you a link some time ago, its very useful.
Of course I do, but:
Firstly: On xeno-canto you often have to wait for a long time before someone answers you (a great amount of recordings on xeno-canto have no answers)
Secondly: On xeno there's usually one person, who replies to your sound and it's better to get the opinions of more people
Thirdly: If you don't want to spam you can upload only one recording on xeno-canto and on BirdForum you can upload more recordings in one thread
Fourthly: On BirdForum "Bird identification Q&A" is there for a certain purpose, right?

Of course I do . . . "Bird identification Q&A" is there for a certain purpose, right?
It's best to keep calm and to give people the benefit of the doubt... By listening to recordings of the two suggested species on standard sources, it's possible to tell that your recordings are not like grasshopper warbler (a continuous and constant reeling sound) but far more like river warbler (broken up into pulsating units of c. 4 per sec). So I imagine Mr P guessed that you hadn't made this comparison for some reason and helpfully gave you a source to try. Of course it's fine to post a query here - but it's also helpful to state how far you've got with the query yourself - so that people are saved from suggesting things you've already tried. In my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back