• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Pantanal, Canastra NP, Cristalino (1 Viewer)

jurek

Switzerland
Hi,

I am planning a Brazil trip in end of August-September, covering Canastra NP, Caraça NR, Santa Maria de Jetibá ( Wooly Spider Monkey at the Muriqui Project), Cuiabá, Pantanal and possibly Cristalino.

Any recent birding and mammal tips?

What is dengue risk currently in this part of Brazil? Any other tips/advice?

Hi Jurek,
No need to worry about dengue in this time of the year, your main problem will be ticks, they are everywhere now in the dry season.
You will be in touch with them in the Canastra and Caraça regions, I think they will be a lesser problem in the other regions where you are going.
After each day on the field search for them (they are very, very small) and remove the ones you find. Don't neglect to do this or you will be scratching like mad for many days.
On the bright side, diseases transmitted by ticks is very rare here.
I hope you'll enjoy the trip.

Hi,

I am planning a Brazil trip in end of August-September, covering Canastra NP, Caraça NR, Santa Maria de Jetibá ( Wooly Spider Monkey at the Muriqui Project), Cuiabá, Pantanal and possibly Cristalino.

Any recent birding and mammal tips?

What is dengue risk currently in this part of Brazil? Any other tips/advice?

Did you do the trip, I'm vaguely planning a trip, as much for mammal as as birds and would be interested to know how you did.

Cheers

Sorry, finally landed in Llanos of Venezuela.

But a bit missing, especially as Jaguars seem to become easy there (vide fish-on-a-string photo in the last BBC wildlife). There is also somebody else's very nice report in another thread of BF.

How did that go, again especially interested in the mammals? Was there myself 22 years ago but have thought about going back.

In Llanos, we went to Hato Pinero. 2 ocelots, tayra, lots of crabeating foxes, capybara, howlers, capuchins. Good bird photo opportunities. Also tamandua in Canaima NP and tayra in Rio Grande.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back