• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Cologne, Germany (1 Viewer)

walshey

not on a register
Hi,

I've got a short trip to Cologne coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll have one evening free to try for my nemesis , (Eagle Owl). I know it's a long shot but are there any known sites in the area?

Best Regards,
John

Hi John,
I am pretty sure there are several sites holding Eagle Owl around Cologne, but you will hardly find them on your own. Information about the sites are handled quite restrictive, particularly during breeding time, so unless you don't know a local birder it will be difficult. Unfortunately I am not from Cologne...
Sorry for having no better news
Wolf

I live just over an hour from Cologne and have a reasonable site nearby, where you have a good (but not 100%) chance if it is still calling (I never tried this late in the year). There is a site near Maastricht in the Netherlands which is just as far away from Cologne and is public knowledge (http://waarneming.nl/waarneming/view/100716225) which allows day-time views (albeit distant) in a lime quarry. I am sure there must be birds in quarries closer to Cologne, but they are unknown to me.

Many thanks chaps. Looks like we'll probably be stopping of at Maastricht on our way back to Calais. Any idea which direction I should be looking at when I get to this spot, or is it obvious?

No, it's not (always) obvious and it's been a while since I tried. From the northeast corner of the quarry (Luikerweg, close to the parking at the Ganzendries), you can view a "wall" with large holes to the south where it often used to sit. Another favourite spot was the north/northwest side of the quarry where it could be in between birches and other trees.

We've got a pair of Eagle Owls breeding nearby. The two chicks are about 3 weeks old now. Very easy to see, no walking included (you could see them out of you car) and not too distant to see.
Cologne is about 75km away, it's approximately an hour's drive.
Pm me for details, if you're interested.

Martin

Many thanks to Houdiny and his wife, the spotter! who took me and mine to a site near Dortmund to see a pair of Owls and two well grown young. All showed very well during the afternoon. We are very grateful!! Will post some pics when I get home.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back