• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Refilling Feeder (1 Viewer)

emc

Do you guys refill the feeder whenever it goes empty or do you fill it only once a day and if it goes empty it's not refilled until the next day?

This time of year they are on rations in my garden.

Just put a plastic cap's worth in the sunflower hearts feeder in the morning, gone by midday. Peanuts alwys available though.

I refill once the feeder is empty, but none of my feeders (mixed seed x 2, nuts x 2, niger x 1 and fat balls x 3) ever gets emptied in one day.

If the feeders were empty by midday I would probably refill, but that never happens. Usually it gets pretty low by late afternoon, but I just wait until the next day to refill, mostly because the squirrels will get the majority of whatever I put out (they love to raid the feeder early in the morning). But also because I love putting the seed out in the morning and seeing all the birds come close to the feeder and get all excited.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a small feeder and fill it about half way, I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the squirrels from getting to it.

By the way, I'm curious why don't folks in Central Europe feed birds all year round?

Thanks for all the replies. I have a small feeder and fill it about half way, I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the squirrels from getting to it.

By the way, I'm curious why don't folks in Central Europe feed birds all year round?

Mix cayenne pepper in with the seed. Won't bother the birds at all and is great for keeping the squirrels and raccoons away.

[...] By the way, I'm curious why don't folks in Central Europe feed birds all year round?
Why should they? ;)
Birds are able to find enough food in the nature without human help. They don´t need the nijer and sunflower seed monotony.
As very active member of Birdlife Austria and Birdforum I came to the following conclusion:
1. If people mentioned in their threads aberrant colored birds they´re always from an English speaking country.
2. When people mentioned bill deformations they also came from the same countries.
3. When people telling us about sick birds in their threads and posts they also came from those countries.
4. When people complaining about unwanted or pest birds it´s also the same.

What do we learn from this?
- Do NOT feed all year round. It just concentrate the birds on the feeders and increasing the transmission of pathogenic organism.
- Do NOT feed only the nijer / sunflower monotony, it´s as healthy as a daily burger for people.
- Keep in mind that your country allows genetically modified seeds/food.
- Do appreciate every bird in your garden as it´s one fo Gods creatures. There is no need that humans consider them as good or bad. Every bird has it´s role in the nature.

You´re living in a great country with wonderful birds, enjoy them whenever possible.

Regards,
Roman

Wow Roman, you made some really eye opening points. Besides a hummingbird feeder, this is the first time I put up a birder feeder... and I'm feeling kind of bad about it now. I know they have plenty to eat in the summer but with a feeder I get a clear, unobstructed view of them. Never occurred to me it could be harmful. Maybe I should save the seeds till winter?

KC, wouldn't the pepper sting the birds' eyes?

[...] but with a feeder I get a clear, unobstructed view of them.
Correct, but do you feed the birds for their welfare or just that you can see and observate them from your breakfast table? What´s your intention?
There are so many provincial and national parks and conservation areas ( eg.: Point Pelee, Long Point, Rondeau, Algonquin, Hillman Marsh, etc) in Ontario where birding is real fun. I enjoyed them every time. Don´t know from which part of Ontario you´re.
Never occurred to me it could be harmful.
My conclusion is not based on a scientific analysis, it´s just what I´m aware of. But on the other hand, this forum is visited by folks from all over the world and though never we see the mentioned facts from other countries. Why?
Maybe I should save the seeds till winter? [...]
Better only until late autumn, so that the birds will have enough time to find your feeder and get used to it.

My conclusion is not based on a scientific analysis, it´s just what I´m aware of. But on the other hand, this forum is visited by folks from all over the world and though never we see the mentioned facts from other countries. Why?

Since this is an English speaking forum and the majority of Europeans don't speak English wouldn't that be expected?

I wonder what the thoughts are of others on this subject?

Since this is an English speaking forum and the majority of Europeans don't speak English wouldn't that be expected?
[...]
To answer your question: No. This can not be expected. I mentioned "this forum is visited by folks from all over the world". We don´t speak/discuss only about Euopean feeding habits.
And your statement seems very wrong in my eyes. Where from do you now that "the majority of Europeans doesn´t speak English"? It might be true that it´s not their first language in most countries but e.g. in my country children learn English from the 3rd class primary school. At least for the next 7 school years, when attending high school even ten years.
English is a compulsory subject in our schools, it´s not like in the states where students attending mostly/only subjects they´re interested in! Don´t know anything about the Canadian educational system.

Last edited:
If you clean your birdfeeders regularly I don't see a problem with feeding all year around. In the UK it is widely recognised that birdfeeders in gardens keep the populations of many species of small birds going,which then also helps with the larger birds like Sparrowhawks too, so I don't see the harm in it. Especially as it helps to balance out the damage we do with our farming practices, insecticides, windows, cats etc which have a destructive effect on their populations...

Maybe some other parts of Europe have more wild land than we do in the crowded UK so the feeders are not as needed by birds as here, gardens make up a large part of the available habitat/feeding area to a lot of different species here.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound offending. I made my comment from my observations while in Europe. No doubt things are now changing with English dominating the internet.

In Canada French is a compulsory subject for school kids but most English speaking Canadians don't speak or understand French.

Sorry, E., you didn´t sound offending, just wrong. What I mentioned happened already when I visited primary school, and that was already in the early 70ies.

Regards,
Roman

Why should they? ;)
Birds are able to find enough food in the nature without human help. They don´t need the nijer and sunflower seed monotony.
As very active member of Birdlife Austria and Birdforum I came to the following conclusion:
1. If people mentioned in their threads aberrant colored birds they´re always from an English speaking country.
2. When people mentioned bill deformations they also came from the same countries.
3. When people telling us about sick birds in their threads and posts they also came from those countries.
4. When people complaining about unwanted or pest birds it´s also the same.

What do we learn from this?
- Do NOT feed all year round. It just concentrate the birds on the feeders and increasing the transmission of pathogenic organism.
- Do NOT feed only the nijer / sunflower monotony, it´s as healthy as a daily burger for people.
- Keep in mind that your country allows genetically modified seeds/food.
- Do appreciate every bird in your garden as it´s one fo Gods creatures. There is no need that humans consider them as good or bad. Every bird has it´s role in the nature.

You´re living in a great country with wonderful birds, enjoy them whenever possible.

Regards,
Roman

Everyone has their own view of feeding and while I disagree with everything you said I do find your passion on the subject nice!:smoke:

If you clean your birdfeeders regularly I don't see a problem with feeding all year around. In the UK it is widely recognised that birdfeeders in gardens keep the populations of many species of small birds going,which then also helps with the larger birds like Sparrowhawks too, so I don't see the harm in it. Especially as it helps to balance out the damage we do with our farming practices, insecticides, windows, cats etc which have a destructive effect on their populations...

Maybe some other parts of Europe have more wild land than we do in the crowded UK so the feeders are not as needed by birds as here, gardens make up a large part of the available habitat/feeding area to a lot of different species here.

Hear hear! :t:

In answer to your question, we top up here as necessary. There's no point in overfilling all your feeders if they're not being eaten regularly, this will just allow the seeds/ peanuts etc to go bad. In our opinion, if the feeders are being emptied regularly, the birds are in need off the extra food as natural food is scarce. Right now, our feeders are very quiet as there is plenty of natural food. That doesn't mean we stop feeding, just that we only put out a bit.

I feed year round although not in the same location all year. I feed all summer here in the north and will shut down around the end of this month. I will start to feed in Florida in early Nov. Am I putting extra stress on the birds when I stop feeding. I don't believe so although I stop before cold weather hits so that here is a window for the birds to find other food sources. Here's a quote from the Cornell's Feeder Watch program:

>Many people worry about what will happen to their backyard visitors if they go on vacation or suddenly cannot fill their feeders. Ideally, a neighbor or friend should stop by to restock your feeder. Otherwise, try to taper off gradually before you go. Don’t fret if this isn’t possible. In winter, natural food sources often disappear overnight when they are covered by snow or consumed by other animals. Birds have adapted accordingly—studies show that even birds with full access to feeders consume three-quarters of their diet elsewhere, and that when feeder birds are deprived of supplemental foods, they quickly revert to an all-natural diet. If your neighbors have feeders too, you can rest assured that your birds will not starve.<

As for disease, keep your feeders and water supply clean and there shouldn't be any serious problems. There was a study here a few years ago involving primarily Purple Finches. Since I had a large number visiting my feeders, our place was used for the study. Mist nets were set up and birds were caught. They were put in bags and in virtually every case the birds would defecate in the bags. Stool samples were collected and taken to the vet college where they were examined. They all came back clear. The birds were banded and released.
I believe that feeding during the summer helps during the hit stress period when birds are laying eggs and raising young.

Going back to the original subject, I fill my feeders when they become empty. I don't rush to do it and I don't worry if a few hours go by when they are sitting empty. I use a feeder that holds about 3 kg of BOS so that means filling it up about once a week at this time of year. My other feeders with a fancy finch seed mix don't get nearly the action of the BOS feeder and I rarely need to fill them.
As far as squirrels are concerned, I don't have a problem. Here's a picture of my very simple set up. The cone shaped baffle works beautifully to keep squirrels and chipmunks at bay.
To say that their diet is monotonous is, I believe false. There is a ton of natural food available here but the birds choose to make Black Oil Sunflower seed part of their diet. I prefer a more natural looking feeder setup but was forced to change because of the raccoons.

Attachments

• IMG_2254.1..jpg
    IMG_2254.1..jpg
    200 KB · Views: 68
  • WGI20141207_0029.1..jpg
    WGI20141207_0029.1..jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back