• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Rocks Marsh NNR, Hoylake (1 Viewer)

Just wanted to say hi, first post, and I first went to Red Rocks about 6 years ago, it's a lovely little reserve and a nice area - I've only been about 5 times since and although seemingly everytime I went there wasn't many birds around (bar the obligatory Skylarks and Meadow Pipits!) I still am very fond of it.

I distinctly remember one day in autumn me and my birdwatching friend finding a very abberant pipit among the "mipits" in the garden which juts out facing Hilbre - it's an Old peoples home I think... anyway I wish we'd got a closer look before the whole flock flew away... I can't remember much about it now except it seemed paler and smaller that the others... ahwell!

And the last time I went to Red Rocks was on Easter Day, it was a beautiful day for it and we had a gracefully dipping Swallow and then 2 House Martins straight after! My first of the year for the latter, really capped off a satisfying day and I hope to go back there soon!

I'm just off out now actually ot have a quick skoot around my local patch - Calderstones Park - before college.

I've seen Tawny, Richards and Red-throated Pipit on that lawn Ben! You need to be at Red Rocks early to stand much of a chance! I've not seen House Martin there yet this year though :)

And welcome to BirdForum.

Red Rocks NR

Hi Jane,

I spent over 3 hours this morning photographing the Sedge Warblers (not an easy task) there wasn't much else there; 2 Common Whitethroats, 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler and a few Swallows that I noted by the reed bed.
I was hoping to photograph Grasshopper Warbler but no sign today. I have attached a Sedge Warbler photo and there are many more of this and other species taken at Red Rocks on my website.

Steve

Attachments

• sedge warbler 4.jpg
    sedge warbler 4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 754
The tamish Gropper is in the big patch of gorse inland at the south end! Not easil;y photographable.... there will be more.. That is a stunning photo!

Grasshopper Warblers

That is a stunning photo![/QUOTE]

Thanks Jane, I heard 3 or 4 groppers last year there, they seemed to favour the apple bushes.

By the way, you any good on Iberian Chiffchaff?
I have been risking my life photographing the Skelmersdale bird today

Steve

What a great thread this is. Your area is a must for me in the next week as its only an hour up the road. You are a very knowledgeble lady Jane

Keep an eye on the weather Jim - I've not even ventured the 1/2 mile down the road this week. If it goes warm again and there is a bit of east in the wind, get over here... it is usually the second of third day of such weather.

I'll keep you posted.

Dear Jane
I have just re-joined Birdforum having retired to Mallorca where at last I can go birding every day. Your report has given me much enthuiasm for covering my local patch here (Parc Mondrago) I have already seen some great birds and just can´t wait for another day to begin. Certainly beats working!
I very much enjoyed your reports and although I have not yet missed the UK, I am visiting some friends who live in the Wirral soon and I will certainly spend a day at Red Rocks Marsh! Many thanks again,Michael Montier

Yes, though they are a lot easier to hear than see (and easier to see at night than during the daytime). Later in summer the hatchlings can be really obvious.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back