• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare(?) Orchid, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Google lens has just ID'd this as Anacamptis sancta which it calls ' very local or rare', can anyone confirm ID and status?

Attachments

• 1712745544411.jpg
    1712745544411.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 1712745544401.jpg
    1712745544401.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
Hi Andy

Looking through George Konstantinou's Biodiversity of Cyprus site, it does look like Anacamptis sancta and according to cyprustravel.org it is very common! How true that is I have no idea?

Shane

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Looking through George Konstantinou's Biodiversity of Cyprus site, it does look like Anacamptis sancta and according to cyprustravel.org it is very common! How true that is I have no idea?

Shane
That isn't the impression I get Shane, why would you look at a travel website?

'This rare orchid is an eastern Mediterranean species and is found in the Aegean Islands, Turkey and Cyprus.'

Anacamptis sancta, Holy Orchid: identification, distribution, habitat

The species is very local or rare[2] and is found in Turkey, Cyprus, Lebanon, Israel and Aegean Islands, and favors dry and stony ground.[1]

That isn't the impression I get Shane, why would you look at a travel website?

'This rare orchid is an eastern Mediterranean species and is found in the Aegean Islands, Turkey and Cyprus.'

Anacamptis sancta, Holy Orchid: identification, distribution, habitat

The species is very local or rare[2] and is found in Turkey, Cyprus, Lebanon, Israel and Aegean Islands, and favors dry and stony ground.[1]

If you Google Cyprus's list of orchids, you will find that it lists all the orchids and their status in terms of whether in the country's Red DataBook (as well as if endemic or not) - a half dozen of the country's orchids are listed as Red Data Book species, but this orchid is not - presumably meaning not very rare.

Does seem to suggest that the species is 'common' in April and May so who to believe? It's certainly the first time I've ever found one and it's a single plant, no more anywhere near.

Perhaps it's rare in other pparts of the 'Med'?

Last edited:
It is localised, but not rare. If you check this map, you can see its distribution is limited. No password should be needed (but the specific locations are hidden).

Hi Andy

I just did the same as Jos and googled Cyprus orchids. If you check this site out Orchis sancta | Flora of Cyprus β€” a dynamic checklist you will see that it is found all over Cyprus below 175mts apart from the Troodos area. Unfortunately, it doesn't state the frequency but based on the distribution map it's unlikely to be classed as rare, maybe localised would be a better term!

Shane
Were some photographs of very large groups of the flowers, so I would guess localised is indeed a better term than rare in the context of Cyprus

[iNat] continually rejects my password submissions, as far as I can see, all my attempts fit the criteria so binned it
I would urge you to give it another whirl - may have been a bug they had that's now in the past - and it's too good a tool, and too much fun, to miss out on. In my opinion.
As you did ask me, I add my confirmation to the ID πŸ‘πŸ» - but my book don't say nowt about abundance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back