• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, North Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

I was sitting in a moorland field yesterday when a distant speck caught my eye - twice. What looked like a largish raptor flew up near a copse of trees, giving short views of what looked like a glimpse of white rump before the bird vanished against the background. Unfortunately my binoculars and big lens were both back in the car a quarter of a mile away, so the second time it appeared all I could do was to pull the lens I had with me out to its full zoom of 200mm and hope for something that would give me either an underside or an upperside to help identify it as what I suspected might be a ringtail hen harrier.

I got neither, just a tail-end shot as the bird turned and vanished again.

Attachments

• IMG_8222-960web.jpg
    IMG_8222-960web.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8222-cropweb.jpg
    IMG_8222-cropweb.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back