• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick & dirty review of 8x42 Opticron Aurora. (16 Viewers)

Yes of course. However, perhaps a little humility wouldn’t go amiss. Take a leaf out of some of the other guys reviews. What people want is helpful comments not sentimental gush.

Keep it in perspective. It’s only a binocular, not the love of your life.

Was a terrible dreary day here in the Highlands, but the Aurora 8x performed flawlessly under the canopy, really popped with details, and then on the beach watching an Arctic Skua harass the local gulls, gave a relaxed, immersive view.

Happy to have these as my primary birding bin. More than happy.

Was a terrible dreary day here in the Highlands, but the Aurora 8x performed flawlessly under the canopy, really popped with details, and then on the beach watching an Arctic Skua harass the local gulls, gave a relaxed, immersive view.

Happy to have these as my primary birding bin. More than happy.
Glad you found some binos that have made you happy Ratal :) Now get out there and enjoy them !! :)

Oh and if you can do some pictures looking through the binoculars that would be great and give us some insight as to how it looks looking through them :)

Glad you found some binos that have made you happy Ratal :) Now get out there and enjoy them !! :)

Oh and if you can do some pictures looking through the binoculars that would be great and give us some insight as to how it looks looking through them :)

Will do - and yes indeed, good idea to add some photos. Will take some when I remember to take a camera with me.

8 weeks in, and I have found a binocular that I intend to keep for many years ahead as my primary birding bin.

Fit to my hands, fit to my face, and the ocular comfort all just let the binocular melt away and leave me looking at the crystal clear image presented to the eye. And what an image. What an absolute belter of a view. Colours are vibrant but not false or excessive. Clarity is beyond words - It is like watching the woodland through a HD 4K television. Drinking in the details of the birds flitting about.

I cannot recommend them enough - and they are absolutely deserving of your time and consideration if looking for a rugged yet stunning pair of bins for your adventures.

8 weeks in, and I have found a binocular that I intend to keep for many years ahead as my primary birding bin.

Fit to my hands, fit to my face, and the ocular comfort all just let the binocular melt away and leave me looking at the crystal clear image presented to the eye. And what an image. What an absolute belter of a view. Colours are vibrant but not false or excessive. Clarity is beyond words - It is like watching the woodland through a HD 4K television. Drinking in the details of the birds flitting about.

I cannot recommend them enough - and they are absolutely deserving of your time and consideration if looking for a rugged yet stunning pair of bins for your adventures.
Sold my Swarovski 12x42 NL Pure the view through them was as good as anyone could ask ,but!!! Anyway have replaced them with a pair of 10x42 Aurora and don't feel comprised one bit a very, very nice pair of bins.
Peter.

Sold my Swarovski 12x42 NL Pure the view through them was as good as anyone could ask ,but!!!
Peter... but what? What was it that wasn't so great, that made you wish for something different? No binoculars, at any price, are a great fit with everyone, that's for sure.

Glad you found a pair that suits you much better. (y)

Peter... but what? What was it that wasn't so great, that made you wish for something different? No binoculars, at any price, are a great fit with everyone, that's for sure.

Glad you found a pair that suits you much better. (y)
Just me really. The rubber armour breaks down after time, the exposed frame prone to brassing ,something I don't like, objective caps fragile where they attach. In other words I felt like I had to baby them all the time to keep them looking good (resale value) always a consideration for me.

Just amazing how much binocular you can get for £800. The Aurora that is.
Peter.

Just me really. The rubber armour breaks down after time, the exposed frame prone to brassing ,something I don't like, objective caps fragile where they attach. In other words I felt like I had to baby them all the time to keep them looking good (resale value) always a consideration for me.

Just amazing how much binocular you can get for £800. The Aurora that is.
Peter.
Indeed.... at the Aurora price point, binoculars can be quite superb! From all that I've read, the Auroras are quite wonderful.

I had the money for any binocular I wanted. Tried a whole slew out, and to my utter amazement, the Opticron fitted my face and hands the best of all I tried. The image is astounding, drinking in the delightfully crisp and vibrant view to be had.

I'll not part with these. Nope. I'll have these a good many years to come - and proudly so. Love them.

I had the money for any binocular I wanted. Tried a whole slew out, and to my utter amazement, the Opticron fitted my face and hands the best of all I tried. The image is astounding, drinking in the delightfully crisp and vibrant view to be had.

I'll not part with these. Nope. I'll have these a good many years to come - and proudly so. Love them.
That's wonderful to hear, Ratal. I'm with you, able to buy the top shelf bins, from any maker. So, it's nice to hear that of all you have checked out - you find the Aurora competes with the best. I'm not surprised.

The $430 Travellers that I have been checking out are quite impressive. Especially so when you consider the price point! I can't say that they compete with SF or UVHD+, but they're some very nice bins for a very reasonable price. :) I can only imagine how nice those Auroras must be.

4 months in. And I have found, for my face and hands, my perfect bino.

Optically stunning. Beyond words - delightfully immersive, and ergonomically, for me, perfect. Lightest of touches to the butter smooth focus snaps the view to the eye.

Absolute keepers. So much so that I have the 10x42 on my to purchase list after christmas.

Hey Ratal! Can you convince me that the Auroras are worth the upgrade from my Celestron Trailseeker EDs?

I don't say this to be mean or rude - but the Opticron Aurora is an absolute monster of a bin and punches way past its price point. Way past.

So far past that I'd be happy to have this as my only birding bin ad infinitum. And I got to choose what ever I wanted and compared everything within the price bracket and up. I stayed with the Opticron. That is how good these are.

I don't say this to be mean or rude - but the Opticron Aurora is an absolute monster of a bin and punches way past its price point. Way past.

So far past that I'd be happy to have this as my only birding bin ad infinitum. And I got to choose what ever I wanted and compared everything within the price bracket and up. I stayed with the Opticron. That is how good these are.
That’s all I needed!! I’m sold, thank you!!

I was asked what the pouch for the binos is like.

Fair honest warning here - It is flimsy, a horrendous stud and flap 'closure' method... In short, absolutely not fit for purpose.

For me that is okay as I never have binoculars out and about in their pouch. This one however is not even fit for use at home as it is flimsy material with no ability to close it properly.

I certainly wouldn't trust it at all.

*Note to add - I never have my bins in a soft case. I have a hard shell clam case for travel and for out in the wilds they are on my chest.
If you don’t mind me asking, can you post a link to the hard shell case that you use with these? Thanks!

I grabbed a pair of Auroras based on this thread and have to say that they’re fantastic! They feel great in the hand and provide such crisp and clear images in all situations. Would recommend in a second. Thanks Ratal!

I grabbed a pair of Auroras based on this thread and have to say that they’re fantastic! They feel great in the hand and provide such crisp and clear images in all situations. Would recommend in a second. Thanks Ratal!
You are more than welcome - I am super glad you are enjoying them. I love mine and have, for me, found a permanent keeper. 8x42 Aurora is blissful to my eyes. Simply blissful.

You are more than welcome - I am super glad you are enjoying them. I love mine and have, for me, found a permanent keeper. 8x42 Aurora is blissful to my eyes. Simply blissful.
Hi, Ratal!
I think you can help me the most, since you also have the Hawke APO.
Can you compare them? Image quality, CA, distortion are in my focus!
I'm after my first serious bino, narrowed down the choices to 5 options, Aurora and Hawke APO are in the top 3 for me, but only depending on folks reviews, since I have no chance to try them before ordering, there is no retailer in my country, and your honest opinion could help me a lot!

Opticron. Hands down.

Build. Fit. Finish. View.

The Aurora feels, looks and PERFORMS way way higher than its price bracket. The Hawke IS a great binocular. The Opticron is STELLAR. I have zero hesitation recommending the Opticron. You will be getting a FAR better binocular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back