• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with Swarovski AT80HD (1 Viewer)

dan pointon

Can't Stop
Hi,

Recently i've been having trouble with the plate that attaches my Swarov to my tripod, namely that the thread inside the base of the scope has worn away, so the scope will no longer screw on to the plate, and I can no longer attach it to the tripod. I've been given a few names of companies, namely Kay Optics and Focus Optics, but these aren't in my my general area. Does anyone know of any optics shops in the Staffordshire area, who would be able to re-thread my scope, if possible with stainless steel as I have heard some companies do.

Cheers in advance

D

dan pointon said:
Hi,

Recently i've been having trouble with the plate that attaches my Swarov to my tripod, namely that the thread inside the base of the scope has worn away, so the scope will no longer screw on to the plate, and I can no longer attach it to the tripod. I've been given a few names of companies, namely Kay Optics and Focus Optics, but these aren't in my my general area. Does anyone know of any optics shops in the Staffordshire area, who would be able to re-thread my scope, if possible with stainless steel as I have heard some companies do.

Cheers in advance

D
Last year I sent my Swaro scope off, via the local dealer, to Austria. I suspected (erroneously) that the image was a tad pale. They inspected it, cleaned it internally, re-gassed it, and replaced the foot-plate that attaches to the tripod, just for good measure. There wasn´t anything wrong with the foot-plate, apparently they just do this as part of a general service. That should solve your problem. (And they didn´t charge me!). I don´t need to screw the tripod plate onto the scope, I´ve got a Manfrotto tripod and you can dispense with the plate because the Swarovski foot-plate fits exactly into the "socket" of the tripod head. (I hope you know what I mean, I´m sure I´ve used all the wrong terminology here). What I´m trying to say is that if you had a Manfrotto 128 tripod head, it wouldn´t matter if your threads were worn on the scope, because you wouldn´t be using them anyway. If you want me to try and explain any of this (seeing as I´ve just done a lousy job), PM me. Best of luck!

dan pointon said:
Hi,

Cheers in advance

D
do a b.f. search under helicoil.

dan pointon said:
Recently i've been having trouble with the plate that attaches my Swarov to my tripod, namely that the thread inside the base of the scope has worn away, so the scope will no longer screw on to the plate, and I can no longer attach it to the tripod.

Yes, helicoil is the solution. But to prevent the same happening in the future I would recommend taking advantage of those two attachment holes in the scope base. The quick release plate of eg. Manfrotto 501 head has two screws (3/8 and 1/4"), which both can be screwed into the Swaro AT base - I think this is one of the most efficient attachment designs to prevent rotation... and screws from working loose.

Ilkka

Sancho said:
I don´t need to screw the tripod plate onto the scope, I´ve got a Manfrotto tripod and you can dispense with the plate because the Swarovski foot-plate fits exactly into the "socket" of the tripod head.

Is that the case for the grey AT80 as well as the newer ATS scopes?
(I'm looking around at a new tripod, and it would have a bearing on my choice)

Andrew

andrew_s said:

Andrew

not true of the old (AT80) scopes

andrew_s said:

Andrew
Sorry Andrew, only just saw your post today. To be honest, I have no idea, and can only vouch for the ATS65HD footplate fitting the Manfrotto 128RS socket without need for the extra screwplate. I had assumed that all Swaros fitted all Manfrottos in the same way, but I'm obviously sadly mistaken. I'm also devastated (well, a little..) that my new Nikon ED82A requires the use of a screwplate (or whatever it's called) with all tripods.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back