• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plain Wren at Tapanti (2 Viewers)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Can anyone tell me which of the three way split occurs here, do we know for sure?

It seems to be right on the boundary line for Isthmian and and Cabanis's?

A

from a post I made here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3260115
I did not see this elsewhere in Birdforum, so a little on range:
modestus seems to be at Jaco on the CR west cost and north of there, and reach to San Jose and the higher areas east of there.
zeledoni seems to be lower on the slope east of San Jose.
elutus reaches north to San Isidro de El General, San Jose, Costa Rica, and is found from there to central Panama.
The break between modestus and elutus seems to be between Jaco and San Isidro de El General, but the authors state they have not investigated it further.

Probably is another couple of details in that thread.

Niels

Thanks Niels,
Tapanti is right on the transition line I think so could be either?

Btw, re the La Paz Waterfall thread, Black-bellied Hummer and the Antpitta I asked about are both at Tapanti too.

Andy

Last edited:
I just downloaded calls from Xeno canto, one from Punta Arenas which should be Cabanis's and one from Las Esquinas which should be Isthmian according to the distribution?

Thanks, A

Last edited:
Thanks Niels,
Tapanti is right on the transition line I think so could be either?

Btw, re the La Paz Waterfall thread, Black-bellied Hummer and the Antpitta I asked about are both at Tapanti too.

Andy

Re the wren: I remember one of them as a more lowland while the other would be the main one to find in the highlands?

Any way, go to ebird, explore data, hotspots, and the bar graph for Tipanti is looking like this: http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?cmd=decisionPage&getLocations=hotspots&hotspots=L447854&yr=all&m=

Niels

If you explore other locations in the region, my guess is that you need to be lower in elevation to get Isthmian. possibly also more south or west or both.

Niels

Maybe Esquinas?

I honestly think though Niels that the ranges are poorly understood at the moment.

Andy

You will need to go back into the thread I linked to and also read the actual AUK paper to get all the details that are available. You can also take a look at page 64 and the surrounding pages in this document: http://checklist.aou.org/assets/proposals/PDF/2016-C.pdf

Niels

Many thanks again Niels but it's still extremely vague.

Looking at the map in the paper, why couldn't they have used a normal map, it's impossible to get anything other than a vague idea of where things are!

Cane break seems straightforward but the transition zone between eleutus and zeledoni is still guesswork it seems. I suppose an understanding of habitat preference will help.

Cheers, Andy

Yes, Cabanis's around Tapanti.
Bird anywhere south of Jaco and Isthmian is common in edge and second growth, including Esquinas area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back