• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phyllosc, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this phyllosc I photographed yesterday in poor light.

The dark bill and legs and the flatter, greyer colour tones have me thinking about Hume's Leaf Warbler (there have been a few already recorded this winter), but unfortunately it didn't call.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC00172 Phyllosc sp. @ DB.jpg
    DSC00172 Phyllosc sp. @ DB.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC00175 Phyllosc sp @ DB.jpg
    DSC00175 Phyllosc sp @ DB.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • DSC00176 Phyllosc sp @ DB.jpg
    DSC00176 Phyllosc sp @ DB.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Is it in wing moult? - I can only see a white tip to the smallest tertial and the flight feathers have a flat, matt look. I'm not seeing solid black centres to the greater coverts or broad black bases to the secondaries, though, which I would expect to see on Yellow-browed. Neither am I seeing the usual mottling on the face. So it could be Hume's. A call would have been good to clinch it but they don't always call in my experience.

Many thanks Andy, this is helpful and probably as far we can go without the call or better- quality images.

I would of course welcome any other views.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back