• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Otter v Heron (1 Viewer)

The comments are probably more worrying.

Not quite sure what was to be gained from this being uploaded to youtube by 'tamarotterwildlife' tbh ...

A lot of anglers/fish keepers have concerns over Otter predation at the moment, although this said the angling forums that I visit are not happy about the video, and it was an angler who reported the video to both the RSPCA and RSPB.

It's also filmed on what appears to be an otter sanctuary/wildlife park?

Can't get my head around what it's trying to achieve?

ooh, youtube comments, where everybody gets to stand on their soapbox, freedom of speech is not as valuable as the freedom to ignore such tripe. I doubt it was staged, looks like the heron was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It does look staged, reality is that different species that feed on the same prey are rivals and when they come into conflict they will fight and one or other will be the loser and the loser may be injured or die. I have little doubt that what is seen on this video also happens in the wild. The natural world is not a cuddly friendly place, its a place where each species has a constant struggle for survival.

A point that the uniformed also do not realise is that the heron's beak is a potent stabbing weapon and fully capable of blinding, otherwise injuring or even killing anything that argues with that heron.

I do wonder whether the people expressing outrage about otters on the Youtube video would also express the same outrage when a golden eagle kills a mountain hare?

ooh, youtube comments, where everybody gets to stand on their soapbox, freedom of speech is not as valuable as the freedom to ignore such tripe. I doubt it was staged, looks like the heron was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

;) If the comments really do represent the groundswell of grass roots opinion then it is worrying. Interesting to see that 'tripe' posted out in the ether is actually not always so anonymous or 'ignorable' ...

eg: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27032012/58/fa-cup-racist-muamba-tweeter-jailed.html

Agree that bird was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's part of the problem - if it was in the wild it would be a different matter - but here are captive animals and quite possibly the Heron couldn't easily escape. Who knows?

A point that the uniformed also do not realise is that the heron's beak is a potent stabbing weapon and fully capable of blinding, otherwise injuring or even killing anything that argues with that heron.

I wondered that. I guess at this stage it may be too injured?

Anyway ... counterproductive imo.

Last edited:
;)
I wondered that. I guess at this stage it may be too injured?

Or perhaps too tame and therefore unwary.?

;)
Anyway ... counterproductive imo.

I agree, in a "cuddly world", most people do not understand or want to understand the realities in the natural environment. Doubtless the idiots will keep keep responding and some others with "anti raptor type" agendas will use it to fan the flames of their particular cause.

There must be a responsible protocol for when real wildlife gets into an enclosure like that, and I can't believe it's 'quick fetch the camcorder!'.

Looks like what they've actually filmed and released is a PR disaster.

Some of the comments on the vid are the usual pig ignorance you get from the extreme fringes of any group - since when are most anglers keen on fish eating birds anyways??. If the Otter attacked and killed a Cormorant( I observed this very incident 2 years back in the West of Ireland), I wonder would there be such an outrage|8||

Hi All,
Just wanted to add that i have a hide and watch wild Otters most of the year, and have done for about 18 months now.
Quite often a heron or two arrive at night before the Otters, the Otters seem to use the Heron as a guide to it being safe.
When the Otters work along the waterside the Heron watches their every move, even turning his back on the water watching the Otters, never have i seen them get very close to each other as the Heron keeps keeps his distance all the time.
O and i own a Trout fishery....... Otters and Herons welcome and always have been.
Thanks Gordon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back