• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole At Hummingbird Feeder (1 Viewer)

emc

Do Baltimore orioles like hummingbird nectar? I put up a hummingbird feeder hoping to attract hummingbirds but instead I have a Baltimore oriole coming to it.

Last edited:
Yes, once they are on to it, they relish it. Some nectar feeders are specifically marketed for them. Generally being orange colored. Commercially made nectar is also sold, and that often having an orange dye added.
Standard 1 part pure white cane sugar to 4 parts water hummingbird recipe works fine, and is very close to natural nectar. Many feel dye isn't necessary. I slip red plastic 12 ounce "go cups" over my nectar feeders, early in the season, once the birds find the feeders, the additional attractant isn't needed. I don't use dye of any kind.

They like jelly and halves of fruit, such as oranges also.

Last edited:
Oh he was on to it, but I guess he was using the feeder as a pit stop because I haven't seen him in a few days. Maybe my second batch of nectar didn't appeal to him as much, lol. Thanks very much for the info.

Quick question if someone could help me out Id much appreciate it

Iam new to the hobby of birding, my wife just bought me an oriole feeder for fathers day. The feeder is from Wild Birds Unlimited. I have it up and have put an orange slice, jelly and filled the bottom resevoir with nectar I made, 4 parts water to 1 sugar. I know it takes a long time to attract orioles especially in the summer since I didnt have the feeder up in the spring. Ive read that in the summer months that meal worms are the diet of orioles. Should I put meal worms out instead of grape jelly? Just looking for any advice to attract Orioles to my feeder. I know it can be a long process to get them to my feeder, just seeing if iam on the right track with my thinking. Thanks

I wouldn´t buy expensive mealworms for orioles when in the nature they will likely find better feed insects, Brian. Welcome to BF, BTW!
Try those oranges cut into half and stick it on some branches in your garden. In Canada this worked great and is very common (just from my personal experiences on birding holidays, didn´t live over there).

Quick question if someone could help me out Id much appreciate it

Iam new to the hobby of birding, my wife just bought me an oriole feeder for fathers day. The feeder is from Wild Birds Unlimited. I have it up and have put an orange slice, jelly and filled the bottom resevoir with nectar I made, 4 parts water to 1 sugar. I know it takes a long time to attract orioles especially in the summer since I didnt have the feeder up in the spring. Ive read that in the summer months that meal worms are the diet of orioles. Should I put meal worms out instead of grape jelly? Just looking for any advice to attract Orioles to my feeder. I know it can be a long process to get them to my feeder, just seeing if iam on the right track with my thinking. Thanks

Hi Bri'
You're doing about all that can done. Patience and perseverance is the order of the day. Once most oriole species fledge and are self sufficient, adults begin their molt, and then start drifting back south. As early as the latter part of July, they're known to start their movements. One has to be coaxing early and often to get them. Meal worms would probably gobbled up by other local species before the orioles has a crack at them. Orange slices being used by so many folks successfully, those might be most recognizable as a food source.

The hummingbird feeder broke so I began stuffing it with pieces of orange slices but the orioles didn't go for it. Do the oranges have to be cut in half?

The hummingbird feeder broke so I began stuffing it with pieces of orange slices but the orioles didn't go for it. Do the oranges have to be cut in half?

Hi emc, yes, believe some of the commercial trays have small plastic spikes that keep the halves from rolling about.
Metallic nails should be avoided for safeties sake. I've pinned them in place with toothpicks.
Also left to chance, that working okay.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back