• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

odd (Black ?) Turnstone on the Azores on YouTube (1 Viewer)

igorfest

Dear friends,
I was looking to a YouTube video on Birding on the Azores at this address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9LqAyL8cPo
At min. 02:12 of the movie a short clip starts about a Turnstone seen on the island of São Miguel.
That Turnstone looks very strange to me, completely lacking reddish tones and with a thick black lower border to otherwise grey breast.
The bird is DANGEROUSLY similar to a Black Turnstone from the Pacif Coast of North America...!

Dear friends, can you take a glimpse at that bird and tell me what you think about it?

Ciao, Igor Festari, Italy

Dear friends,
I was looking to a YouTube video on Birding on the Azores at this address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9LqAyL8cPo
At min. 02:12 of the movie a short clip starts about a Turnstone seen on the island of São Miguel.
That Turnstone looks very strange to me, completely lacking reddish tones and with a thick black lower border to otherwise grey breast.
The bird is DANGEROUSLY similar to a Black Turnstone from the Pacif Coast of North America...!

Dear friends, can you take a glimpse at that bird and tell me what you think about it?

They all look like perfectly normal Ruddy Turnstones to me - look at the leg colour, among other things.

They all look like perfectly normal Ruddy Turnstones to me - look at the leg colour, among other things.
Black Turnstone can show orange legs, from mildly to brightly so, as shown by many photographs on Google Images.
But better looks at the bird make me think I've over-reacted to the complete absence of reddish color on this immature, as you said an otherwise normal Ruddy... Sorry! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back