• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG 8x30 dissection (1 Viewer)

Yes, EDG is even better, but that doesn't mean that HG mechanics aren't also among the best, compared to other big brands. On the contrary, HG mechanics is in a much higher class than its price might suggest. The focuser in my sample has a nice smooth movement. The movement of the hinges is firm and with perfect collimation even after years of use. Very robust mechanics! The finishes are almost luxurious.
Sometimes I think some get confused when I/we call the Monarch HG, HG’s. I’m referring to the pre EDG, HG’s.

I agree with this sentiment, the focuser and leatherette tactile feel is above what see with Conquest, Trinovid, Razor and every opticron on the planet 🤪.

The thread that won’t die. I just sold pair because the eyecups were too short. They don’t screw out so I couldn’t lengthen them. The focus wheel is a weak point in my option. I love my 10x42s but both have a sticky stiff wheel. My Maven B3s have screw out eyecups, a smooth focus wheel and better build all around. They also are made in Japan and cost about half of the HGs. The HGs have slightly better optics. But for the life of me I can’t understand how the Nikons can have a worse build quality for double the price. Just my opinion but if you put the two side by side I doubt anyone would say the HG was as well built.
Interesting two bad focusers on your MHG’s. It’s just me but I don’t accept subpar focusers on $1000 binoculars. You might’ve had a different opinion if you sent them into Nikon and I fixed them up.

They’re not horrible but might be worth it. For the record my Mavens were slightly stiff I passed through Lander WY last summer and dropped them off there. They were back in a week and very smooth

They’re not horrible but might be worth it. For the record my Mavens were slightly stiff I passed through Lander WY last summer and dropped them off there. They were back in a week and very smooth
Yup , that’s my point, they tweaked them for you. I agree the build quality in the Mavens feel more solid, but I think Nikon was going for elegance on the MHG, similar to what Leica did with Ultravids in the black line compared to the rubber armor version.

No disrespect, but I’ve compared a lot of the Mavens side by side with other observers with $500-$1000 options and I opine that the B1.2 would more comparable optically to the MHG. I think the B3’s fall more into the mid level M7, Viper level.

The Nikon MHGs are better built than they appear, and they were built light for the geriatric crowd to take on hikes without weighing them down.
They were not built light just for the geriatric crowd. But also for people like me who carry a ton of gear and can bearly manage another gram. I am far from being a geriatric (a mere 60 y.o.) and have a scope, tripod, two cameras, 3-4 lenses, food, drink, GPS, phone, spare clothing, survival blanket etc. etc. on most long hauls. So any weight saving in terms of binocular weight is a godsend. SW

They were not built light just for the geriatric crowd. But also for people like me who carry a ton of gear and can bearly manage another gram. I am far from being a geriatric (a mere 60 y.o.) and have a scope, tripod, two cameras, 3-4 lenses, food, drink, GPS, phone, spare clothing, survival blanket etc. etc. on most long hauls. So any weight saving in terms of binocular weight is a godsend. SW
A young 60 😜🙏🏼.

I was just being funny, since a discussion with a retailer recently, relayed to me that weight seemed to be more of an issue with binoculars these days. More customers are requiring lighter weight glass.

I was just being funny, since a discussion with a retailer recently, relayed to me that weight seemed to be more of an issue with binoculars these days. More customers are requiring lighter weight glass.
Well actually, it describes me exactly. I’m trying to sell my FL’s because I bought another 8x30SFL just to save 200gm or so!
Keeping it on topic: I liked the Leica like view of the MHGs. But focuser was relatively stiff and my experience with trying to get a part from Nikon USA kept me from considering having it adjusted. And I thought the 8x30SFL a bit better design and view anyway…
Different strokes for different folks!

I agree that the overall quality of the binocular is very high, nice materials, finish, etc. The eyecups seem to be good quality, but there is a serious flaw in their design: you can't unscrew them. Not only you can't replace them without sending it to Nikon if they break (I guess it is the most fragile part of the bino), but more importantly, you can't properly clean the bino. After just 3 months of use, some dust or sand somehow got into the mechanism and now it doesn't move and click as smoothly as before. It really is a pity that I can't remove the dust without sending it to Nikon (how often would I have to do this, every couple of months?). Even the older and cheaper monarchs 7 have removable eyecups.

Yup , that’s my point, they tweaked them for you. I agree the build quality in the Mavens feel more solid, but I think Nikon was going for elegance on the MHG, similar to what Leica did with Ultravids in the black line compared to the rubber armor version.

No disrespect, but I’ve compared a lot of the Mavens side by side with other observers with $500-$1000 options and I opine that the B1.2 would more comparable optically to the MHG. I think the B3’s fall more into the mid level M7, Viper level.
I guess you didn’t see that I said the HGs were better but the B3s are Way better that the M7s. Worst 8x30 I’ve ever owned. Suffered from glare everywhere. Horrible. Vipers are nowhere near either imho. A $300 binocular with a $500 price tags because of the Vortex warranty. Horrible build quality and optics more in line with a M5. The B3s are good with glare, have great ED glass and are made of great Japanese components. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ll take the B3s aluminum wheel and accents over the plastic HGs any day. And I have the HGs in 10x42 and love them. They look fairly cheap otherwise to me. Not trying to start an argument but I’ve owned every bino discussed and that’s my opinion of them.

I agree that the overall quality of the binocular is very high, nice materials, finish, etc. The eyecups seem to be good quality, but there is a serious flaw in their design: you can't unscrew them. Not only you can't replace them without sending it to Nikon if they break (I guess it is the most fragile part of the bino), but more importantly, you can't properly clean the bino. After just 3 months of use, some dust or sand somehow got into the mechanism and now it doesn't move and click as smoothly as before. It really is a pity that I can't remove the dust without sending it to Nikon (how often would I have to do this, every couple of months?). Even the older and cheaper monarchs 7 have removable eyecups.

You don't need to send binoculars in to clean out some dust, they are waterproof, put them under the tap.
Try harder and think about it.
Jerry

If I’m not mistaken more than half the binoculars on the market don’t have eye cups that unscrew. Does that mean more than half of all binoculars are seriously flawed?

I guess you didn’t see that I said the HGs were better but the B3s are Way better that the M7s. Worst 8x30 I’ve ever owned. Suffered from glare everywhere. Horrible. Vipers are nowhere near either imho. A $300 binocular with a $500 price tags because of the Vortex warranty. Horrible build quality and optics more in line with a M5. The B3s are good with glare, have great ED glass and are made of great Japanese components. Also beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ll take the B3s aluminum wheel and accents over the plastic HGs any day. And I have the HGs in 10x42 and love them. They look fairly cheap otherwise to me. Not trying to start an argument but I’ve owned every bino discussed and that’s my opinion of them.
No arguments at all, we’re just discussing perceived differences, that’s what it’s all about 👊🏻✌🏼. It’s a unique company in that it’s American (San Diego based) with Japanese components and a separate QC Department in Lander, Wyoming. Same here, I’ve owned just about everything out there new and old and still have a few dozen of them. One of my hobbies is doing side by sides with a small group of observers to see if there is consensus. I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Where are Maven Binoculars Made? - Optics Whiz

HGs and Monarch 7s....

I bought my 8X42 HG in 2017, my Monarch 7 8X30 before that. That's a pretty dang good track record. I have since added a HG 8X30 refurb a couple of years ago.

Those binoculars have really been used. ALL of them. The Monarch 7s have been abused. Seriously. Number of issues with any? Zero. All function exactly as they came out of the box. The Monarch 7 8X30 is a little glarish at times which is ok for the sub $400 price I paid. Most times it's never an issue. I really like the business-like look of the HGs. Just enough armoring and among the most lightweight in each class.

You don't need to send binoculars in to clean out some dust, they are waterproof, put them under the tap.
Try harder and think about it.
Jerry
I already tried "harder" like you say and put them under the tap. First thing I noticed was that some oil/grease was washing away, there was a thin layer of oil deposited on the lens after that. But I got the impression that the dust got stuck in the grease/oil, I tried harder, several times under the tap, but with no results, every time I just make the lens dirty. I guess I have to try to dissolve and wash away all the grease (with detergent or soapy water) so that the dust gets out, and then regrease it.
I love this binocular, but I think it is really annoying that this feature is not present, since it is in almost all current binoculars in that price range.

There should be no need whatsoever to get defensive about one's choice of binoculars (cf seawatcher's last post). Light binoculars have been around for absolutely ages (eg Zeiss Turactem and others from the 1920s). If anything top tier 8x32 binoculars have been getting larger and heavier, such that the 8x30 category has reappeared. There's always been a market for light and handy binoculars, and until Elon or someone can find a way to implant chips in our brains that magnify what our eyes see, probably always will be.

And it's easy to see why. Using a light binocular, in the right situation, is wonderful. The binocular weighs nothing in your hands and good ones can almost disappear before your eyes. You're unencumbered, can respond quickly to calls or flickers of movement. Such a binocular becomes an extension of yourself in a way that is hard for many larger binoculars to achieve. It makes birding a pleasure. When the situation is right for them (sadly, less often these days), I delight in using my 8x30s. G*d I love it when I can "feel the intensity without the weight".

Last edited:
But I got the impression that the dust got stuck in the grease/oil, I tried harder, several times under the tap, but with no results, every time I just make the lens dirty.
This does seem likely. The home solution might be a Water-Pik dental cleaning tool, high pressure with cold water.

We have a 23-yr-old Leica BN that somehow never had this issue, but our more recent bins have removable eyecups, and I had to clean a Swaro once after a windy day in the mountains (I could feel the grit in my teeth too). It was simple to gently wipe off the metal sleeve, and enough grease remained to be no further problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back