• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 stay focus ? (1 Viewer)

gwsudiro

Indonesia
hello...^_^

anyone can tell me anything about Nikon 7x35 CF "StayFocus" ? physically, it looks like Nikon EII....|<|

and, how good are they compared to Action 7x35?

many thanks before for your kind help...:-O

Galih

Last edited:
These were one of Nikon's budget lines from 15-20 years ago, not related to the EII in construction or optics. The "Stay Focus" feature was just a focus lock which allowed the binocular to be set for a desired viewing distance, like at a sports event, then locked in that position. Essentially it was a gimmick addressed to the "permafocus" binocular market. The 7x35 has a very short eye relief spec of 9mm. I haven't seen a pair in so long I couldn't say how good the optics really are, but I think they're likely to be just as good or better than the current Actions.

Last edited:
hi mr.Link....^_^
Thanks for the reply....

drifting a little from the topic, in StayFocus era, what is the high end line of Nikon binoculars?

Many thanks before
Galih

These were one of Nikon's budget lines from 15-20 years ago, not related to the EII in construction or optics. The "Stay Focus" feature was just a focus lock which allowed the binocular to be set for a desired viewing distance, like at a sports event, then locked in that position. Essentially it was a gimmick addressed to the "permafocus" binocular market. The 7x35 has a very short eye relief spec of 9mm. I haven't seen a pair in so long I couldn't say how good the optics really are, but I think they're likely to be just as good or better than the current Actions.

Just a comment here.

Nikon has incorporated a "focus lock" into their new EDG. (At least on the discontinued North American model with the 2 hinges.)

The Focus wheel has 3 positions. Pushed all the way in it is in it's normal functional mode. Pulled out one position and it is in the "focus lock" mode and the focus wheel spins freely. You pull it out to position 3 to set the diopter.

Bob

Just a comment here.

Nikon has incorporated a "focus lock" into their new EDG. (At least on the discontinued North American model with the 2 hinges.)

The Focus wheel has 3 positions. Pushed all the way in it is in it's normal functional mode. Pulled out one position and it is in the "focus lock" mode and the focus wheel spins freely. You pull it out to position 3 to set the diopter.

Bob

Hah! I never noticed that (or read the manual). I just tried it on my EDGs and I see what you mean.

So the "pop-out focus wheel so it won't focus" bug complained about in a couple of reviews is really an unexplained feature ;)

Hah! I never noticed that (or read the manual). I just tried it on my EDGs and I see what you mean.

So the "pop-out focus wheel so it won't focus" bug complained about in a couple of reviews is really an unexplained feature ;)

Well, had you read the instruction manual that came with your EDG, you would already know about the focus lock:
Nikon said:
Position Ⅰ : Pushed into the deepest (Focusing) position. Focusing ring can be used.
Position Ⅱ : Middle click (Unlocked) position (when the focusing ring is pulled out one step). Focus-lock status is established. Focusing ring rotates freely.
Position Ⅲ : Fully pulled-out (Diopter adjustment) position (focusing ring is pulled out two steps). Focusing ring rotates freely. Diopter adjustment ring becomes operable.

But whether or not the unintentioned pop-out of the focus wheel is a feature is still up to debate.

Well, had you read the instruction manual that came with your EDG, you would already know about the focus lock:

But whether or not the unintentioned pop-out of the focus wheel is a feature is still up to debate.

It hasn't unintentionally popped out for me.
Bob

The problem, not a feature, was that the knob would disengage the focus mechanism UNINTENTIONALLY. It's rather challenging to achieve focus with a free spinning, do-nothing knob.

If it's any consolation to Nikon owners, the first SV I received had an inoperable diopter control. It would not engage the diopter mechanism and focus control was rough and inconsistent. Swarovski told me to return it for a new one and that they'd use this sample for parts. The replacement is perfectly smooth and a visual phenomenon.

I probably should've used a smiley to emphasize my tongue-in-cheekness. I don't believe the unprompted pop-up of the focus wheel is a feature.

Pileatus, one of those days, I'll try the SV and see what the big deal is about. When did they say the SV 8x32 is coming out?

I probably should've used a smiley to emphasize my tongue-in-cheekness. I don't believe the unprompted pop-up of the focus wheel is a feature.

I did use smiley on my post ;)

It hasn't unintentionally popped out for me.
Bob

It has for me. Just once. I suspect it might be the way some people bring their finger to the focer know (brushing it upwards). I hoped they might have modified the detent to require a little more force though clearly as it is a focus lock they probably want people to operate it with one finger without affecting focus.

The Zeiss diopter shift "problem" comes to mind: pull up the focuser to engage the diopter shift without changing the initial focus.

My bin shipped with the focuser "in neutral" and my first impression out of the box was a very low friction focuser that appeared to be broken in that it didn't focus. Then I remembered the review commments, pushed it in and it worked fine.

How many people read the manual for their bins (especially if they don't use batteries). I mean what could I possibly miss ;)

As I recall mine also came with the focuser in the "lock" position. I simply pushed it in as I was distracted by an objective cover that had fallen off. Then I read the instructions. On my binocular it takes a little bit of effort to pull it back to the lock position. You need to use your thumb and fingers. Though the focusing wheel is so smooth and easy that one has to take a bit of care not to change focus while doing it. I don't think it is a feature I will use often but it is nice to have it. The front of the hinge is threaded to take a tripod adapter unlike the older HG L versions.
Bob

Last edited:
hi Bob..^_^

I mean, back in the 90s...when StayFocus 7x35 still around, what is Nikon's top of the line at that time??

best regards

Galih

My Nikon catalogue from the early 90's shows a motley collection of top of the line Nikon binoculars contemporary with the Stay-Focus Plus series. They were collectively called the "Criterion Series" in the US. The models included the E Series Porros, 7x35, 8x30 and 10x35; Execulite Roofs, 8x32 and 10x40 and Classic Eagle 8x40 (none of the roofs were phase-corrected); two high quality zoom binoculars, 6-12x24 Letour (roof) and 8-16x40 Zoom XL (Porro); and the 7x50 Prostar and 10x70 Astroluxe.

Dennis is resorting to his usual hyperbole. I remember enough to say that the the "stay-focus" 7x35's were not junk. They were also pretty cheap, less than $100, so a used pair shouldn't cost very much.

Henry

My Nikon catalogue from the early 90's shows a motley collection of top of the line Nikon binoculars contemporary with the Stay-Focus Plus series. They were collectively called the "Criterion Series" in the US. The models included the E Series Porros, 7x35, 8x30 and 10x35; Execulite Roofs, 8x32 and 10x40 and Classic Eagle 8x40 (none of the roofs were phase-corrected); two high quality zoom binoculars, 6-12x24 Letour (roof) and 8-16x40 Zoom XL (Porro); and the 7x50 Prostar and 10x70 Astroluxe.

Dennis is resorting to his usual hyperbole. I remember enough to say that the the "stay-focus" 7x35's were not junk. They were also pretty cheap, less than $100, so a used pair shouldn't cost very much.

Henry

I had the Nikon "stay-focus" confused with the Bushnell Permafocus which is about a $29.00 to $50.00 pair of binoculars that you don't focus at all and are pretty much junk. The Nikon "stay-focus" sounds like a pretty good low end binocular although I have never tried them. They sell on E-bay for about $50.00 to $100.00. I knew I must be wrong because as we all know Henry Link(Mr Optic's) is always right!
Here is one guy on a review from Amazon that likes them:

Fantastic, September 12, 2010
By J. Gray (Texas) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME) Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Nikon 7x50 CF Stay Focus Plus Binocular USA, with Case and Shoulder Strap, Product #7874
I love these things. They are discontinued but I have been able to pick up 2 more pair. Have I said I love them? They are extremely clear and Nikon has a wonderful warranty. I sent mine in for repair for something I had done. They repaired them free of charge. Great folks.

Last edited:
"I knew I must be wrong because as we all know Henry Link(Mr Optic's) is always right!"

Dennis that is very nice thing to say about Henry.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back