• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night Chirping (1 Viewer)

emc

I was surprised to wake up in the middle of the night the other day and hear a bird chirping away. It was completely dark out, why would a bird chirp at night? I don't know what kind of bird it was, the melody sounded familiar, it could have been a robin or a cardinal, but I'm not sure, I keep getting them mixed up, they both sound so nice.

The only birds I ever hear at night in this area are mockingbirds (usually young males) and whipporwills. Can you describe the song?

It was a cardinal, this is the sound I heard, it starts at about 23 seconds into the audio and ends at 27 seconds into the audio: http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=3 You know what, as I'm playing this, suddenly a cardinal started chirping outside my window!

Ahh, a cardinal. We hve lots of them here, but I never hear them at night. That's probably because we also have a great horned owl living in our woods.;)

Regarding the cardinal chirping when he heard your linked recording, purple martin landlords use recordings to draw martins to their sites, and it often contributes to success.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back