• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie here (1 Viewer)

WandaS

United States
Hi guys! My name is Wanda and I am from Hot Atlanta. I just joined this morning after searching for an answer to my question.. couldn’t find an answer, so here I am hoping you guys could help a girl out. Now before I hear anything from the peanut gallery.. I know my gourds need repainting and I plan to do so after the birds leave.. Ok, I hope you guys can tell me what kind of birds I have making a nest in my gourds. I was hoping to get purple martins.. but I don’t believe these are.. they don’t sound like purple martins. So any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0189.mov
    8.8 MB
Hi Wanda and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm probably wrong, as I've never actually seen one, but it reminds me of a Great Crested Flycatcher - BirdForum Opus. I'll move your post to the ID forum as that's the best place to get identifications.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Wanda, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Based on the looks, and the location I think Delia is correct.

Great Crested Flycatcher is correct. There are a few other closely-related flycatchers that look very similar, but in Atlanta it can (almost) only be Great-Crested.

(There's a tiny chance of Ash-throated Flycatcher, but your photo shows it isn't one. Your bird has a darker throat, yellower belly, and brighter white spot on the wing, compared to ash-throated.)

PS I would never presume to comment on a stranger's gourds.

Hi Wanda and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I'm probably wrong, as I've never actually seen one, but it reminds me of a Great Crested Flycatcher - BirdForum Opus. I'll move your post to the ID forum as that's the best place to get identifications.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for the warm welcome and the info on the bird. You are right.. that’s exactly what they are. First time for me seeing one and let me tell you.. they are loud.. lol

Hi Wanda, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Based on the looks, and the location I think Delia is correct.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Delta was correct as do we’re all of you. I knew I came to the right place 🙃

Great Crested Flycatcher is correct. There are a few other closely-related flycatchers that look very similar, but in Atlanta it can (almost) only be Great-Crested.

(There's a tiny chance of Ash-throated Flycatcher, but your photo shows it isn't one. Your bird has a darker throat, yellower belly, and brighter white spot on the wing, compared to ash-throated.)

PS I would never presume to comment on a stranger's gourds.
Thank you for the info and not commenting on my gourds. 🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back