• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Viking Binoculars (1 Viewer)

dipped

Viking have introduced two new ranges of binoculars, the MD and ED ranges.

As there is nothing on their website yet, I thought I would post the news here.

The ED range comes in 8 and 10x power with 42mm objectives.(obs). About £560.

The MD range has a 6.5 and 8x in 32 obs. and 8 and 10x in 42 obs. About £280.

First impressions are the MD's are very well built, slightly heavy and with a very smooth positive feeling focusser reminiscent of the Nikon HG's.

First impressions of the ED's open bridge design are whilst bright(er) the build quality is not as good.
The dioptre adjustment is near the focusser and is a push and turn arrangement. The bit you push stands a bit proud of the focusser.
They look very like the Bushnell Elites.(most recent model).
The 10x42 had some focus slack but the 8x42 was OK.

See pictures for field of view.

Nev

DSC02188.JPG DSC02187.JPG DSC02186.JPG DSC02185.JPG

Last edited:
I tried both of these at the weekend - I tested the 6.5x32 MDs and was very impressed, very close focus, good image and smooth fairly fast focus (1 turn took me from very close to infinity). I only tried the EDs very briefly, these seemed good too, it would be interesting to try them against something like the Swaros or Lecia... I doubt the Vikings are far behind.

I'm very interested in the RSPB 8x32 HD. 460g is going to make it very nice to carry. So if the 2m close focus really is 2m this time, I'm looking forward to trying one out.

I might have been interested in the MD 6.5x32 if it hadn't weighed 600g. Otherwise interesting spec, but too heavy for that magnification.

Michael

Definitely an interesting new series of binoculars. I would agree that the Viking ED's do resemble the latest Bushnell Elites or possibly the Cabelas Alpha Extremes..at least in terms of their body style. Impressive specs and ED glass to boot. Very nice.

The MD are also nice looking binoculars. When I first glanced at the full-sized model the body reminded me of the Nikon Premier LXL and/or the Monarch in the sense that it seems to have physical characteristics somewhat similar to both.

Both lines should prove interesting. I look forward to further reviews of these bins.

I'm very interested in the RSPB 8x32 HD. 460g is going to make it very nice to carry. So if the 2m close focus really is 2m this time, I'm looking forward to trying one out.

They do look very interesting, the old RSPB HDs that I had were always very good quality but quite heavy. If the image on these 8x32s is as good as it should be then these will be very interesting, I'd certainly like to try a pair.

Why oh why do binocular designers keep coming up with gimmicky diopter adjustments?

The system on the ed model looks a bit fussy and awkward to me, I can see the push button on the diopter ring pushing in as soon as you place it in it's carry bag and possibly losing it's corrent setting in transit.

RSPB had the right idea when they changed their HD range to a regular dioptic ring located on the left hand barrel.

M

I tried both Viking 8x42 models briefly inside the shop at Minsmere yesterday. The dioptre locking button is small and looks a bit crude but it needs a reasonable amount of pressure to release it so I don't think it will be pressed by accident too easily. Both models gave a nice bright image but I found the focusing action on the MD to be a bit smoother with less resistance than the ED. I prefer this but the ED might free up with use. The main thing I noticed is that both models have exceptionally close focusing. I was able to focus on a card in display cabinet behind the counter and they would have focused closer if needed. They both look worth serious consideration and I would like to try them outdoors some time.

Ron

I was at RSPB Conwy yesterday. I'm a newly interested Birder in my 40's and looking for some decent Binoculars to replace the old ones I've been carrying around for the last 30+ years! I wanted some base models to test out so tried firstly the RSPB 8.5 x 42 WPG which I quite liked. I then asked to try something more expensive out to compare. Was shown the Viking 8 x 42 and 10 x 42 MDs. For some reasons I didn't really like the feel of the latter, but was very taken by the former. Priced at 5p under £270. Cue intensive negotiations with other half in which the words 'Christmas' and 'Present' were extensively namechecked. Anyway, thought I'd have a bit of a google and low and behold there they are (with 1st Cameras Imaging Centre, whoever they may be) at a whole £85 cheaper! I'm all in favour of supporting the RSPB to the best of my ability, but just what on earth is a poor boy to do?

Hi there

We have 2 pairs of Vikings binoculars, and they have served us well. Older pair was bought at an RSPB shop a few years ago, and the newer pair at the Bird Fair a couple of years ago.

The older pair we have are
8 x 40 Field 8.2

they are as good as ever, and they are heavier to carry about, but they are functional that is the main thing.

The newer pair we have are
10 x 42

are smaller, lighter, and suited for my vision. These are the pair we took to Spain 2009, and the rubber/plastic focus wheel cover decided to break away from the binoculars (to do with the heat I think) Just a cosmetic thing but has not affected the binoculars at all.

So Viking gets my thumbs up and my OH is interested about the new models on the market.

Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
I tried the ED 8x42 more thoroughly yesterday. I found it was much better than my first impression suggested, but a 720° focus range is way too slow for me. I also tried the 6.5x32 MD. As I expected, too big and heavy for the magnification. But I also compared it directly with my Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and the Viking's image, though apparently quite a bit bigger, was also noticeably fuzzier.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back