• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New super wide angle IF bin from Nikon on photokina (1 Viewer)

jring

Hi,

wasn't on photokina but found a report of the elusive monster bin on the german juelich forum. Here's the link for those who read german.

http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,432108

Some quick facts for those who don't:

- not porro but uses Abbe-Koenig prisms with objectives slightly below eyepieces. ED glass. Giant 30mm EP lenses and twist up eyecups. Weight was given as 2.5kg although one reviewer guessed 4 kg - so run to the gymn and lift those weights in preparation!

- 10.7 degrees true field for the 7x50 model or 65.5 apparent according to ISO which gives less apparent than normal. 10x version has 76.6 deg apparent - wow.

- well corrected CA, flat field, slight pillow distortion, easy view on the 7x

- price was given as roughly 6k euro if sold - example shown was obviously a tech demonstrator and not a product.

PS: Some images:

http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,432108,432155#msg-432155
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,432108,432156#msg-432156
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/space_ken1/34383500.html

Joachim

Last edited:
It is a fascinating binocular indeed but I won't be getting the 7x50 version because I have enough 7x42s right now and that format is close enough to 7x50 for me.

Nor will I be getting the 10x50 because I am more interested in the Monarch HG which is shown in the pictures posted in post #6 in Holger's link from Cloudy Nights and because I am saving my money for an 8x42 Monarch HG!:t:

Which brings up the question about when is Nikon going to release the HGs in North America?:C

Bob

Last edited:
Considering 100 degree AFOV binoculars, old measure, were around maybe 60 years ago, I don't find these to be as novel as suggested.
102 degree Nikon eyepieces have been available for a while and periscopes had 120 degree eyepieces.
120 degree eyepieces are now about £1,000 each.

The 15x110 mm Russian/ Soviet binoculars have about 90 degree eyepieces and there was a wider Russian binocular about 100 degrees.

The Minolta Standard MK 10x50 is 7.8 degree and not heavy.
Hopefully, Nikon will make a 10x50 8 to 8.5 degree binocular that is not heavy and works well handheld.
7x35 binoculars from 11 to 12.5 or 13 degrees were around maybe 40 years ago.

Nikon, please make a sensible EWA binocular for say £1,000 or less.

As mentioned the Nikon prototypes are around Zeiss 20x60 price, and they would certainly sell some at that price.

I don't know what the 30mm eyepiece is.

I don't know what the 30mm eyepiece is.

Hi,

sorry, good that you mention it... this is kinda ambiguous wording... it should have read 30mm diameter eye lens as opposed to focal length.
Although if we assume f/4 objectives an eyepiece focal length of around 30mm is also called for.

You are right that super wide angle bins are not new, the new stuff is that they managed to get that giant field mostly flat. This was so far the domain of not very cheap astro EPs - at least for fast instruments like in bins.

And yes, I hope too that this was a technology demonstrator shown to test if there's interest in super wide angle bins and it will get shrunk and made cheaper (although hopefully not too much) before going to market. Not sure if $1000 is feasible but even at twice the price with a 10x50 with 8 or 8.5 deg true field, state of the art coatings and good field flattening would be a sure winner if it was more or less hand held at maybe 1.5kg max.

Joachim

As mentioned the Nikon prototypes are around Zeiss 20x60 price, and they would certainly sell some at that price.

Some - yes. But nowhere near as many as Zeiss sold of the 20x60S, simply because the 20x60S is unique with its mechanical stabilizer.

Hermann

I don't know if there is a problem with multicoating 85 deg eyepieces at the field edge. I.e big angles off axis.
But even if the optimum is not possible it could still be good.
I would settle for a fully multicoated Minolta Standard MK with original glass, but any further improvement would be welcome.

I feel that the only real progress in binoculars in the last 20 years is the Canon IS range.
Otherwise not much.
For my stringent astro use at night in street lighting all I see is mainly poor flare, glare and ghosting control.
Also for me rather pathetic fields of view.

I understand that bird watchers have other requirements, which drives the market.

I feel that most makers, though, have lost the plot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back