• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New App - How To Twitch Birds (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
John Gooders was something of a pioneer, and I'm sure, like me, he inspired many birders to take up birding with his "How To Watch Birds" and "Where To Watch Birds."

If he were around today, I'm sure he'd be involved in the new app, "How To Twitch Birds." I've thought about this in recent autumns but it really hit home over the last few days, where a decision to catch the Oban ferry to Barra, not realising the Uig to Barra journey was an option cost me the Kingbird, and only yesterday when attempting to twitch it again, establishing that the Glasgow flight to Barra and catching the ferry to Eriskay was considerably cheaper than flying direct to Benbecula - at least £100.

An app that pulled all this together, and kept abreast of summer and winter timetables; prices; car hire etc. would be a really useful tool. We are bombarded with info. about a birds' presence or otherwise, but if you are like me, you are often wondering how best to tackle a twitch.

Do I sail from Holyhead or Fishguard? What ferry companies are there - Stenaline / Irish Ferries, any more? Is one faster? Is there much of a price difference? I didn't know I could fly to Benbecula from Manchester until yesterday - is it only Flybe? Does that involve two planes? Can I hire a car on arriving at Eriskay? A rarity has just turned up on Lundy, who do I contact for a charter? You get the idea.

There'd be a past trips bit where people confirm the art of the possible. On paper, based on ferry times, route planner, and factoring in the time to secure a hire car it wasn't possible to do Uig to Lochmaddy, and get the 1pm Eriskay ferry, yet several crews ripped that up.

The information is out there on the web, but it's all over the place, isn't clear, and isn't geared towards birders. This app would pull all that together. It would cut through all the other crap they put on these sites, and if you asked for Manchester to Benbecula options, that's what you'd get, and not a search engine that promises that, but in reality shows you all destinations in Europe.

This is a plea to any modern day JGs out there to produce this app, which I see as a natural progression as birding grows ever popular. If it's ready in time for the next Kingbird, even better.

With the variable circumstances, private charters, and spontaneously organized boats/flights I don't think this would be possible. Possible to overtake the "ease of use" that is public forums and conversation, that is.

Long story short I don't think an app could be made that makes this process any easier. Certainly it wouldn't be able to provide all the answers. It isn't as simple as just taking locations and trips through the internet, there is a lot to consider when it comes to coding and so on. For instance how do you make code "recognize" a given boat's destination and arrival through internet search results. How do you make the app recognize that a location has a physical GPS location. You then need to take into account that GPS location, compared to the bird (or general vicinity). That will all take custom coding without help and cooperation from quite a few people and possibly companies.

Perhaps something could be done, though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back