• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (1 Viewer)

Beautiful Spring sunshine this morning........meant that my walk from Flint Castle along the North Wales Coastal Path, all the way to Bagillt Marsh, and back again, was hugely enjoyable.

Nothing exciting to report, except for my first Swallow of the year, a singing Willow Warbler in Flint scrub, and also the first returning Sand Martin to the cliff top colony, and then finally, a female Hen Harrier, that was flying along the Dee banks.

N.B......( 1st returning for 2015 ), is only applicable, to MY records for Flint and Bagillt Marsh, and NOT for anywhere else in the U.K.

60 species recorded

Highlights

Peregrine Falcon
Hen Harrier
Chiffchaff 7 ( 1st returning for 2015 )
Meadow Pipit 2
Black Tailed Godwit c50
Oystercatcher c200
Bullfinch 2
Sand Martin ( 1st returning for 2015 )
Grey Wagtail
Redwing 2
Swallow ( 1st returning for 2015 )
Buzzard
Kestrel 2
Reed Bunting 2
Willow Warbler ( Singing ).......( 1st returning for 2015 )

Last edited:
Just back from a stroll round World's End. A few Black Grouse dotted about, decided to try a bit of phone-scoping. Ropey result attached!

James

Attachments

• 20150321_175609.jpg
    20150321_175609.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 65
A surprisingly awkward walk, along the North Wales Coastal Path from Flint to Bagillt Marsh this morning, due to some very strong winds, which meant, that using the scope was virtually impossible, and also, even holding the 'bins' still, was a little tricky at times.

Migrants were thin on the ground, apart from a few singing Chiffchaff, but there are now 2 Sand Martin at the cliff top colony.

There were plenty of Meadow Pipit, and Skylark feeding on the fields, with small parties of Linnet also feeding along the rocky shoreline, whilst the estuary itself, held all of the expected species for the time of year.

51 species recorded

Highlights

Linnet c20
Great Crested Grebe
Chiffchaff 8
Skylark 8
Sparrowhawk
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Meadow Pipit 12
Black Tailed Godwit c200
Shelduck c100
Curlew c50
Sand Martin 2
Oystercatcher 12

Last edited:
Some cracking Urban Birding today, which involved my usual circuit of most of the city's Birding hotspots.

Most notable today, was the presence of 18 Goosander, that were fishing the River Dee between Saltney and the Weir.........a record count for me on my 'Local Patch'......and also, a calling Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Dukes Drive woodlands, which I was unable to locate, even after a thorough search.

Migrants, continued to be few and far between, although there was definitely a greater number of singing Chiffchaff to be heard, than of late, and I also recorded my first singing Blackcap of the year, which was frequenting the hedgerows, that run along the banks of the Dee, near Chester Golf Club.

Teal, Mallard, Moorhen, Cormorant, and a mix of gulls, were also on the river, and also a solitary Redshank, was seen feeding along the exposed muddy areas at low tide.

Chester Meadows, held 6 Chiffchaff, 3 Sparrowhawk, 4 Reed Bunting, Buzzard, 2 Bullfinch, 4 Stock Dove, 2 Grey Heron, Kestrel, and a pair of Meadow Pipit, and it was nice to see a bird 'parachute displaying' above The Meadows, which hopefully means, that there might be at least 1 breeding pair of Meadow Pipit, back on The Meadows again.

51 species recorded

House Sparrow c50
Feral Pigeon/Rock Dove 3
Long Tailed Tit
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Goldcrest 3
Nuthatch 3
Great Spotted Woodpecker 2
Common Gull
Pied Wagtail
Mistle Thrush 2
Chiffchaff 9
Blackcap
Goosander 18
Moorhen 8
Cormorant 12
Redshank
Teal 22
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Sparrowhawk 3
Reed Bunting 4
Meadow Pipit 2
Buzzard 3
Kestrel
Bullfinch 2
Grey Heron 4
Treecreeper
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Blue Tit
Dunnock
Blackbird
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Starling
Woodpigeon
Black Headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Stock Dove 6
White Goose 2
Jay 2
Great Tit
Collared Dove 2
Robin
Magpie
Wren
Canada Goose
Song Thrush
Mute Swan
Mallard

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading that Peugeot Ty!

Thanks very much........

I enjoy Urban Birding, more than any other type of birdwatching, because it's so easy to do...and in Chester, there's always a wealth of good habitat to be explored, right at the end of my fingertips.

Chester is an excellent city birdwise, mainly because of the river that passes through it, which means that many of the birds that use the Dee as a migration/passage route, can very often be picked up annually, for example, you should consider yourself unlucky, not to find all of the common hirundines, as well as all of the warbler's, including Grasshopper, both Whitethroats, then also, Redstart, Whinchat, Wheatear, Cuckoo (occasionally), Osprey, Spotted Fly etc, and I would keep an eye out for a reasonable Common Sand passage through the city, whilst Green Sand, can often be encountered also,....and I would suggest, that you walk along the Dee, between Saltney, and the Weir, and also, visit Chester Meadows regularly, for your best chance of encountering these species, with The Meadows, also being very good for Snipe, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Fieldfare, Redwing, Water Rail, Kingfisher (on the river), Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, gulls, including Mediterranean, and Yellow Legged, ( both found previously), and various wildfowl etc, during the Winter months,.........and as David Lindo say's,.... "look up"...., because I also had a Great White Egret over The Meadows last year, and can often hear, or see, other species flying over.

Dukes Drive woodlands are excellent, and have held Lesser Spotted Woodpecker regularly, (usually towards the Eccleston end), although these birds are becoming increasingly difficult to find as the years progress, whilst both Marsh Tit and Willow Tit, Green Woodpecker, and also Pied Flycatcher, have been encountered on occasions previously.

But most importantly, all of these areas have, 'free open access at all times', and are all accessible on foot.

Last edited:
A nice wander along the River Clwyd at the Rhyl end today.

Red Brested Merganser 3
Black Tailed Godwit 10
Redshank 22
Oystercatcher 15
Ringed Plover
Shelduck 18
Cormorant 2
Meadow Pipit 12
Canada Goose 12
Mute Swan 2
Swallow 2

Lots of gulls on the river with Common, Herring, Black Headed, Lesser Black and Great Black all present.

Two Comma Butterflies flying around.

I then popped over the Brickfield Pond which was fairly quite on the water with the usual Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Mute Swans and a pair of Tufted Duck. Around the lake there were plenty of Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits, House Sparrows, Dunnock, Blackbird and Woodpigeon.

A Scaup was reported on here the other day, but no sign of it today.

Last edited:
A nice list Huwgo

...with Ringed Plover, and a couple of Swallow in there for good measure,... I'm still struggling with incoming migrants myself, with only a couple of Sand Martin, 1 Swallow, 2 Blackcap, and a fistful of Chiffchaff, being the best that I can muster thus far, and unbelievably, I'm still waiting for my 1st Wheatear!

I went looking for a Little Gull today, that had been reported close to the Rifle Range Pools, but alas, no sign, (possibly the same bird that's at Burton MW?), and on the pools themselves, were 16 Tufties, 3 Black Headed Gull, 3 Gadwall, 4 Little Grebe, 4 Mallard, and 3 Coot, with 2 Buzzard and a Kestrel over, a singing Blackcap, several singing Skylark, 2 Meadow Pipit, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, and 4 Chiffies.

Also had a Peacock, and a Small Tortoiseshell on the wing.

Last edited:
I continued my search for any new arrivals this afternoon after work, by spending a couple of hours searching around the fields, ditches, and rough vegetation areas, that surround Shotwick Boating Lake, but again drew a blank, but my efforts were eventually rewarded, by a resident species, in the shape of a singing Cettis Warbler, that was skulking around the area of brambles, that are adjacent to the ditch, that runs from the Rifle Range Pools, to the end of the farmer's field, where the horses graze, near to the Boating Lake.

The fields adjacent to the lake, held a good mix of all the common gull's, as well as the usual mix of swans, that still held, a few Whooper, and the ever present Black Swan, with 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Mallard, 7 Skylark, 4 Meadow Pipit, 3 Linnet, 2 Pied Wagtail, a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the woods nearby, and 5 Buzzard circling, and a passing Peregrine over.

The lake itself was very quiet, with 8 Little Grebe on the water, and a Little Egret picking around the perimeter area.

The walk back to the car, produced 5 Chiffchaff, Blue Tit, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Great Tit, 2 Stock Dove, and plenty of Woodpigeon, whilst I also managed to record my first Brimstone butterfly of the year.

Last edited:
Another couple of hours after work today, covering the same areas around Shotwick Boating Lake, that I covered yesterday, produced pretty much the same fayre, apart from the singing Cettis Warbler, which this afternoon, was not in evidence.

The Lake held, 55 Tufties, 2 Little Grebe, and a mix of Common, Herring, and Black Headed Gull's, but little else, and the adjacent fields, held only Mute Swan's and the Black Swan, with no Whooper's still present, and also Great Black Backed Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Common Gull, 2 Oystercatcher, 3 Skylark, 4 Pied Wagtail, and 3 Linnet in attendance.

Also present today, were 6 Chiffies, Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, 12 Meadow Pipit, 4 Lapwing, Goldfinch, Woodpigeon, and a mix of corvids, that included, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Rook, and Jackdaw.

The set was completed by 6 Buzzards, and 2 Kestrel over, and butterflies were more evident today, than yesterday, with 5 Small Tortoiseshell, and 5 Peacock seen.

Called at Connah's Quay nature reserve yesterday, sadly the mist was rolling in so I couldn't see much on the estuary. On the pools there were plenty of Wigeon, Teal, Shelduck, Mallard, Black Tailed Godwit, Curlew, Redshank and a Little Egret. The highlight was a Peregrine flying over and flushing everything in sight. The feeders were busy today with lots of Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Blackbird, Dunnock, House Sparrow and a pair of Pheasant wandering around. No sign of any Twite, I think most of them have left for their breeding grounds now.

Three Small Tortoiseshell seen too.

A nice day's Birding today, which was made all the more enjoyable, by some more, lovely warm Spring sunshine again.

The venue for today's outing, was Flint and Bagillt Marsh, and another search for more incoming migrants, which wasn't a great success, but was at least showing some signs of an improvement, compared to most of my most recent excursions.

Flint Marsh was very quiet birdwise, with only a handful of Curlew on the mudflats, and also small number's of Oystercatcher, and mixed common species of gull's.

Flint Scrub Area, which has consistently proved to be very productive for migrants, and birds on passage in the past, came up with the goods again today also, with an impressive movement of Meadow Pipit through, which must have numbered approximately 400 + birds, an impressive sight and sound indeed, with also 2 singing Blackcap, a dozen or so singing Chiffchaff, a Willow Warbler, which was in full voice throughout my stay, ( and I wondered whether this was the same bird that I recorded on the 21/03/15, or a new arrival ?)

Also present there, was a solitary Swallow over, and 2 Sand Martin hawking for insects, which are still the only 2 birds newly arrived at the cliff top colony, and it was very pleasing to note, that around 16 Greenfinch had taken up residence in the scrub area also, after having struggled to record many of this species recently.

Further along the Coastal Path towards Bagillt Marsh, I finally managed to record my first Wheatear of the Spring, with 2 stunning males, that were feeding around the sheep pens, in the adjacent fields.

On my way home, I dropped in at the Rifle Range Pools, where there were circa 30 Tufties, 2 Little Grebe, 4 Mallard, and 3 Coot on the water, and copious number's of Chiffchaff.

Butterflies seen today.....were 6 Peacock, 3 Small Tortoiseshell, and my first Comma of the Spring to date.

57 species recorded

Kestrel 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker 2
Blackbird
Chiffchaff c30
Magpie
Tutfed Duck c30
Chaffinch
Wren
Coot
Linnet 8
Great Crested Grebe 2
Woodpigeon
Robin
Blue Tit
Song Thrush
Great Tit
Dunnock
Curlew c20
Cormorant c20
Mallard 4
Jackdaw
Black Headed Gull
Carrion Crow
Meadow Pipit c400
Grey Heron
Redshank 2
Shelduck c20
Canada Goose c200
Jay
Oystercatcher c20
Reed Bunting 2
Goldfinch
Gadwall 2
Little Grebe 2
Buzzard 5
Starling
Collared Dove
Swallow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black Backed Gull
House Sparrow
Greenfinch 16
Pied Wagtail
Little Egret
Great Black Backed Gull
Long Tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Bullfinch 4
Mistle Thrush 4
Rook
Sand Martin 2
Common Gull
Willow Warbler
Wheatear 2
Skylark 2
Blackcap 2
Raven 2

Last edited:
Some more Urban Birding today.....

The walk along the river, from Saltney to The Weir, was fairly quiet, with only a few singing Chiffchaff, 2 Redshank feeding on the exposed mudflats, 8 Teal, several Cormorant, a Grey Heron and a single singing Blackcap.

Dukes Drive, and The Dingle woodlands, were alive with birdsong, with 5 singing Blackcap, 5 Coal Tit, 4 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Jay, 4 Goldcrest, 3 Mistle Thrush, 3 Treecreeper, 3 Nuthatch, 2 Sparrowhawk, and also 4 Linnet, and a lingering Redwing over.

Chester Meadows, were a little bit like the Mary Celeste today, with only a few Stock Dove, several Chiffchaff, a Grey Wagtail over, and my first singing Blackcap on The Meadows this year, being the only birds of note.

Butterflies seen today, were, 4 Peacock, 2 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Comma ( on the Bottoms Lane track ), and my first Small White of the Spring so far.

Chester Urban Birding

45 species recorded

House Sparrow
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Starling
Chiffchaff c20
Goldfinch
Dunnock
Woodpigeon
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Collared Dove
Blackbird
Greenfinch 4
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Black Headed Gull
Grey Heron
Cormorant 13
Magpie
Jay 2
Wren
Blackcap 7
Linnet 4
Song Thrush
Great Spotted Woodpecker 4
Stock Dove 3
Buzzard 7
Oystercatcher
Moorhen
Pied Wagtail
Long Tailed Tit
Goldcrest 4
Mistle Thrush 3
Sparrowhawk 2
Nuthatch 3
Coal Tit 7
Treecreeper 3
Redwing
Herring Gull
Grey Wagtail
Teal 8
Robin
Chaffinch
Redshank 2
Mallard
Great Black Backed Gull

A nice day in the field today, first covering the Rifle Range Pools and surrounding areas, and then doing my usual circuit at Flint, by walking from the castle, along the Coastal Path to Bagillt Marsh, and then doing the circular route, back through the scrub area and woods.

The highlight from the day, was my first Common Sandpiper of the Spring, that was feeding in the gulley's on Shotton Marsh.

The Sand Martin colony at Flint, has now reached a total of 9 birds present, and there was still 2 male Wheatear feeding around the sheep pens adjacent to Bagillt Marsh.

66 species recorded

Chiffchaff c20
Dunnock
Kestrel 2
Buzzard 7
Blue Tit
Wren
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Mallard
Goldfinch
Stock Dove 7
Gadwall 2
Greenfinch
Robin
Moorhen
Canada Goose
Teal 10
Coot
Chaffinch
Tufted Duck 25
Blackbird
Skylark 10
Magpie
Shelduck c50
Meadow Pipit 4
Curlew 5
Redshank c400
Common Gull
Wheatear 2
Little Egret
Swallow 7
Greenshank
Linnet 14
Black Tailed Godwit 2
Black Headed Gull
Great Tit
Shoveler 2
Willow Warbler 2
Reed Bunting 3
Little Grebe
Water Rail 2
Bullfinch 2
Cormorant c30
Common Sandpiper ( First of Spring 2015 )
Oystercatcher c30
Song Thrush
Jackdaw c100
Mute Swan
House Sparrow c40
Starling
Great Black Backed Gull
Collared Dove
Herring Gull
Pied Wagtail 3
Blackcap 3
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Grey Heron
Sand Martin 9
Mistle Thrush
Goldcrest 2
Long Tailed Tit
Great Crested Grebe 3
Coal Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Rook
Raven

Last edited:
A singing Cettis Warbler, was found by Andy Ingham today, in the fenland area of the Chester Meadows......well done Andy......a cracking find !

Also there, a Common Sandpiper, feeding along the river bank.

Last edited:
I did my usual circuit of the Rifle Range Pools, and surrounding areas, and then continued onto Flint and Bagillt Marsh.

There were no more new arrivals to be found today, but nonetheless, there was still plenty of good birds to be seen, with the Common Sandpiper passage along the Dee, still continuing, with 2 more birds feeding in the gulley's on Shotton Marsh, and also, a greater number of the already newly arrived migrants now being present.

68 species recorded

Highlights

Willow Warbler 7
Tufted Duck 44
Blackcap 11
Skylark 14
Curlew c100
Chiffchaff c15
Wheatear 3
Redshank c2000
Gadwall 2
Great Crested Grebe 2
Linnet 18
Common Sandpiper 2
Reed Bunting 2
Oystercatcher c50
Swallow 6
Sand Martin 10
Black Tailed Godwit c100
Sparrowhawk 2

A couple of hours after work today, working the Rifle Range Pools area, provided c50 Tufted Duck, 2 Shoveler, 4 Little Grebe, 2 Moorhen, 2 Grey Heron, 4 Coot, 4 Gadwall, 12 Mallard, 2 Mute Swan, and 2 Shelduck, on the water, with 7 Swallow, and 1 Sand Martin, hawking above the pools.

The surrounding habitat, held Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue, Great, and Long Tailed Tit, and also Blackcap in good number's, whilst the reed beds, provided me with my first singing Reed Warbler of the Spring.

**Many thanks to Ray Eades, for his very pleasant company today**

Last edited:
I covered my usual circuit of the Rifle Range Area, and then Flint and Bagillt again today.

Migrants dominated again, and I had a site first for me at Flint, with a Tree Pipit, on the Scrub Area.

67 species recorded

Highlights

Tree Pipit
Redstart ( male )
Linnet 12
Chiffchaff c10
Blackcap c10
Willow Warbler 7
Reed Bunting 2
Reed Warbler 8
Common Whitethroat 5
Sedge Warbler 2
Gadwall 4
Swallow 5
Common Sandpiper 3
Sand Martin 16
Whimbrel 4
Wheatear 4

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back