• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on Cephaloepis apirati Bertoni, 1901 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Cephaloepis apirati Bertoni, AW 1901 OD Aves nuevas del Paraguay - Biodiversity Heritage Library

Güaraní name Maínumbí apí-rati crested hummingbird, for the Plovercrest (syn. Stephanoxis lalandi).

Less a question of etymology but I would say syn. Stephanoxis loddigesii as Paraguay (Alto Paraná Department) is the distribution place.

This in accordance with https://www.researchgate.net/profil...f-Stephanoxis-Simon-1897-Aves-Trochilidae.pdf and Rolf Grantsau Die Kolibris Brasiliens.

What I ask myself is the autorship of Stephanoxis loddigesii Stephanoxis loddigesii (Violetthaubenelfe) - Avibase Gould or Hummingbirds – IOC World Bird List Vigors ? Sure Vigors presented the hummingbird pt.1-2 (1830-1832) - Proceedings of the Committee of Science and Correspondence of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

But...

50.2. Authorship of names in reports of meetings

If the name of a taxon is made available by publication in a report or minutes of a meeting, the person responsible for the name, not the Secretary or other reporter of the meeting, is the author of the name.

Last edited:
AP Peterson's take on this name : Zoological Citation Notes -- L

Stephanoxis lalandi loddigesii Author
  • The authority is conventionally attributed to Gould
  • The original description can be seen here:PZS 1831 p.12.
    and it states:
Mr. Vigors exhibited several species of Humming-birds from the collection
of Mr. John Gould, one of which, previously undescribed, had been dedicated to Mr. George Loddiges, F.L.S., &c.
It approaches most nearly to the Trochilus Lalandei, Vieill., but may be distinguished
from that bird... by the following characters: ..."
  • The Code states: "...if it is clear from the contents that some person other than an author of the work is alone responsible both for the name or act and for satisfying the criteria of availability other than actual publication, then that other person is the author of the name or act."
  • Gould's role here is not "clear": did he attribute the name "loddiges? Clearly he did, given Vigors' attribution. Did he recognize the differences in plumage? Probably he did. Did he prompt the "nomenclatural act" (the publication of this name and description)? This is not clear. In 1831 Gould was emphatically not in the habit of publishing his taxa, and particularly not in serial literature. (His first publication containing new names was, in fact, in 1831, in the book Cent.HimalayanBirds (with an imprint date of 1832). His first publications in PZS were in 1832.
  • Thus, my interpretation is that in the abscence of clarity regarding Gould's role, Vigors is the author of the name.

However, this indeed fails to acknowledge that this is the proceeding of a meeting written by a third person, which means that Vigors' status as "author of the work" is not at all clear either, and that the name is explicitly attributed to Gould in the OD ("TROCHILUS LODDIGESII, Gould.").

I would go with Gould, under 50.2.

Last edited:
In The Key I treat Cephaloepis Bertoni, 1901, as a misspelling of Cephalolepis Cabanis & Heine, 1860.

...which itself is an emendation of Cephallepis Loddiges 1831.
(Cephallepis was replaced by Stephanoxis Simon 1897, which is in use. Simon claimed that the name was preoccupied -- which I think it was not (it's not homonymous with Cephalolepis Duméril & Bibron 1844, Reptilia, nor with Cephalepis Rafinesque 1810 = Cephalolepis Agassis 1846, Pisces).)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back