• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrating swallows today 23 October (1 Viewer)

kennethwfd

Saw a small flock of swallows today at Milford on Sea, later they were at Keyhaven. what is the latest date they have been recorded in the UK. They do seem to be leaving later, but then this year they arrived late, I begin looking out for them end of March, did not see any until 1 MAy

Saw a small flock of swallows today at Milford on Sea, later they were at Keyhaven. what is the latest date they have been recorded in the UK. They do seem to be leaving later, but then this year they arrived late, I begin looking out for them end of March, did not see any until 1 MAy

Although most have gone It's not uncommon to get a few stragglers. I think a few tried to over winter in Penzance some years ago but I suspect they succumbed in the end. I have heard of several November and the odd December record.

A single Swallow and up to 5 House Martins at work on Saturday, along with the numerous Redwings, Fieldfares and Mistle Thrushes. Funny time of year!

Last year i saw 5 Swallows on the 11th of November on the Lizard Cornwall. I think at least one over wintered and was regularly seen near Helston sewerage works not far away.

2 Swallows and 4 House Martins flying low outside the shop at 4.30 this afternoon. Interesting to see how late they will stay in to November this year.

Just so, then we had a hard, cold spell and it was seen no more - could have moved on elsewhere, but unlikely to have found somewhere better, or make a sea crossing south with low fat score etc.

I had a single Swallow down my local patch yesterday. My first Swallow in November and the latest for my patch by 2 days beating one on 1/11/1991.

I had a single Swallow down my local patch yesterday. My first Swallow in November and the latest for my patch by 2 days beating one on 1/11/1991.

Seems like there's a few hanging around late this year. Not that I'm picking but you say its your first Swallow in November and then said you had one on the 1st November 1991 ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back